1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pintail Necks

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by allison1952, Jan 13, 2021 at 11:44 AM.

1. allison1952

allison1952 Member

what is a good average neck length for a flying drake pintail mount.. appreciate all

2. The same length as the neck you remove. Just taxi the skin forward.

rigbobby and BrookeSFD16 like this.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

taxi with the meter running ... taxi.... thats funny

4. Not sure what you call it byrdman, but i taxi (move) the skins forward and pin them in place.
    Taxi = moving something from one place to another.
    Dermis = skin
    "Taxidermy" - moving skin.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  5. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

7 1/2 to 8 inches. If unsure just cut long and one mounted and ready to attach head test fit and see what looks right. Don't over stretch .

BrookeSFD16 and Wildthings like this.
  6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

^^This ^^
    I hardly ever measure my necks anymore. I attach my wire and necking to the body first and when mounting insert that combo into the skin. I just leave the necking a little long and right before attaching the head I check the neck skin length and cut the excess off the necking and then install the head

Jim McNamara and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Oh it would be same for a flying as it would be for a standing or sitting pintail

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

“taxidermy” was a term used by museum curators when classifying and catagorizing study skins into subspecie groups... to arrange skins is correct but they refer to allready stuffed skins....by moving skin around on a form is not what “taxi” refers to....must be millenial slang huh