1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pintail Necks

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by allison1952, Jan 13, 2021.

1. allison1952

allison1952 Member

what is a good average neck length for a flying drake pintail mount.. appreciate all

2. The same length as the neck you remove. Just taxi the skin forward.

GotHonks, rigbobby and BrookeSFD16 like this.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

taxi with the meter running ... taxi.... thats funny

4. Not sure what you call it byrdman, but i taxi (move) the skins forward and pin them in place.
    Taxi = moving something from one place to another.
    Dermis = skin
    "Taxidermy" - moving skin.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  5. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

7 1/2 to 8 inches. If unsure just cut long and one mounted and ready to attach head test fit and see what looks right. Don't over stretch .

KLFL, BrookeSFD16 and Wildthings like this.
  6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

^^This ^^
    I hardly ever measure my necks anymore. I attach my wire and necking to the body first and when mounting insert that combo into the skin. I just leave the necking a little long and right before attaching the head I check the neck skin length and cut the excess off the necking and then install the head

GotHonks, jhawk, George and 2 others like this.
  7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Oh it would be same for a flying as it would be for a standing or sitting pintail

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

“taxidermy” was a term used by museum curators when classifying and catagorizing study skins into subspecie groups... to arrange skins is correct but they refer to allready stuffed skins....by moving skin around on a form is not what “taxi” refers to....must be millenial slang huh

9. I do the same. I was just giving the OP a good starting point. I cut the necking long and use it when fleshing, and even a little while drying the birds too, for support. If I'm doing a dead mount hanging from the head, or feet, the neck will obviously change length since there's no blood pressure and life. Flying and standing also dictates length for me. It's much easier to start long and trim to length after test fitting like Jim mentioned above.
    Cheers!

Wildthings likes this.
  10. BrookeSFD16 likes this.