1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using Pheasant Skull

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by D265, Jan 15, 2021.

1. D265

D265 New Member

Alright fellas, I received some good advice on here asking about using the bird skulls instead artificial heads on gamebirds. I've done this successfully with quail now so I understand the concept.

Tomorrow I'll be doing a rooster pheasant and I'm wondering if you guys do anything special with the wattles when using the skull. I remember watching a video where they split the wattles using an artificial head, I can't remember what this was supposed to achieve.

If I need to add some fullness to the wattle area, which I figure that's what that had to do with, could I just build up some clay in this area? What about injecting some of that bird feet preservative in there?

2. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

The wattles are split because that tissue needs to be opened up and removed. Like splitting lips on a deer. Doesn’t matter which method (real head/artificial), the prep work is the same. You can use clay, caulk, cotton or any filler you want to plump up cheeks but not anything that you’d inject in feet. Obviously, if you could push it through a needle then it would not have the body to be used as a filler.

BrookeSFD16 and Wildthings like this.