1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Euro Teeth

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BRrooster57, Jan 16, 2021.

1. BRrooster57

BRrooster57 New Member

Hello all,
    Just got my moose Euro back from the Taxidermist. Seem's too smelly to me . Wife won't let me keep it in the house yet! I am planning on doing more de-greasing to try and fix it up.
    My question is; Are there any special procedures while working around the teeth area?
    Looks like that would be an area for "little bits of smelly stuff to hang up".

Oh , and found a bullet all healed up in the bone on his face. Probably had a head ache for a long time from that one!

thanks.
    Bruce.

2. Graybeard's Beetles

Graybeard's Beetles New Member

Your taxidermist probably should have glued the teeth in. It shouldn’t be smelly at all. I would suggest talking with them about it. Most likely the smell is either tissue in the brain / nasal cavity or from rancid fats that soaked into the antlers. If it’s the antlers a good cleaning of the antlers with hot water and dawn followed by a coat of 50/50 mix of turpentine and linseed oil should freshen them right up.

Where are you located? Someone in the group may be able to take a look at it and give you some advice.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You skull was not thoroughly cleaned. It should be odorless. Take it back to whoever did it and tell them to finish the job.

ARUsher and Graybeard's Beetles like this.
  4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I agree with Joey. It's a sloppy, unfinished job. Return it and tell them you want it clean and odor free. How did they clean it to begin with? Was it degreased after or did they just remove the flesh somehow? It should be clean, white and not smell like anything when done properly. Some pictures? How long was it before they returned it to you? You need to return it for them to finish it. You paid for a job well done. Not one that you have to take time and materials in your own home to finish the job for them.

ARUsher and Graybeard's Beetles like this.