1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question On Restoring An Old Ram Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ALicea, Jan 18, 2021.

1. ALicea

ALicea New Member

Hello,

bought this big ram skull yesterday and it needs a lot of degreasing still. My issue is removing the horns. They have been nailed and what appears to be cemented onto the skull. Any help is appreciated greatly!
    thank you! DED3E9BE-BEB1-4E97-A106-1A3365DA995E.jpeg D5F6B560-0C01-4F12-9109-059E15A9C071.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

First, see if you can pull the nails out. Then submerge the entire head in a container of hot water that you have added a fair amount of dish detergent to. Dawn is a strong one. To get sheep grease to move, you are going to have to heat the water to 120 degrees 24/7. There are several ways to do this. Let that skull sit for at least a week before you try to remove the horns. You might be able to wiggle them off after a long soak. Try hitting them (hard) with a rubber mallet from side to side and they might come free. The skull has a lot of grease in it, probably boiled in, so it is going to take some time to remove it. I can't tell if that is Bondo or not.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021

3. ALicea

ALicea New Member

Thank you so very much! The cement-like stuff is already coming off a bit.

4. Sea Wolf

Would love to see pictures once you get it apart. This is the result of boiling/simmering a skull. It might have looked nice and white originally but, after a few years, this is what happens as cooked in grease starts to surface. You might get a lot of this out but don't be surprised if you have residual stains that just won't move.

5. ALicea

ALicea New Member

I’d love to share photos! If I can ever get the dang nails out! Any tricks for that?

6. Sea Wolf

Maybe try to lever them up by getting the flat blade of a small screwdriver underneath and prying up? If you can get them up enough you can get a small hammer onto them and pull them out.