1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beetles And Horns

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by fadetoblack72, Jan 19, 2021.

1. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

I have a customer with a jacobs ram and I have no clue if I need to remove the horns first or if I can cover them and put them in with my beetles. I’ve done a search of the forums and had limited luck. I don’t do degreasing, only beetle cleaning so I’m not sure if this is something I can accomplish. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Beetles will chew them up. You need to get them off or it will stink to high heaven. Get the horns off and cut the cores in half so the beetles can get inside to get at the tissue inside of them. You may have to try and rot the horns off in a black bag in a hot area for 3 or 4 days to get them to slip off. Cut up underneath the horn bases all around the bottom with a thin knife as there is a membrane holding them on too. Pictures will help. Sometimes those horns are twisted so bad you can't remove them.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Occasionally I have a set that will not come off. I macerate them for a month or two, allow to dry for a month or two, then proceed. As said, beetles are a no-no on horns.

Sea Wolf likes this.