1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shipping From Mckenzie

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by Larry T, Jan 21, 2021.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I am only a hobbyist so all shipping is absorbed by me so I look to where I can get a good product at a good price and the cheapest shipping! McKenzie does have great selections but almost everything they have can be had elsewhere in some form. All I was saying is I cut back (not stopped) on ordering from them because of their high shipping cost compared to other suppliers. The problem is the two big shippers and no real competition (speedee isn't around here) so they can screw you any way they want and you have to suck it up.

By the way, I did have a very successful small business for over nineteen year servicing electronics until it got so cheap it wasn't cost effective to repair any longer so I do know how to run a profitable business. If I ever do commercial, hell yes, the cost of all mounts will include something to cover shipping!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I know and understand your point of view, I felt the same way in the early years of trying to make a go of taxidermy and often times had a similar discussion with others that had been in it for years. The beauty of it all is, we do have choices as to where we order our supplies from and who we use to ship them, I've ordered from most and ultimately the shipping charges are pretty comparable, relatively speaking. The bottom line is that most of us don't have a business plan to run a profitable business, like we should. I once was included in that but I have learned it isn't all about gluing a skin to a foam form.

pir^2h likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I do have a business plan and get $825 for a deer head , that said it pisses me off when they change and charge more on shipping mid stride . You can say go to a different company, that’s BS also as not all deer forms are the same and if your clients , that can now go on line and pick a form tells you they want a 6900 series wall ped then that’s what you have to get them . Not sure why you defending them so much . People are just venting .

drob likes this.
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Why am I defending them? I'll tell you why, i'm not so much defending McKenzie as I am defending the opportunity for free enterprise and it pisses me off that people come on a forum that is paid for by the exact company that they are complaining about to bitch. I also suspect that some of the folks complaining are the same ones still mounting deer for $350. In any other trade or industry, when supply prices raise, the businesses pass that increase onto the customers, or they look for less costly ways to get equivalent supplies, as they have to in order to stay open and it's a fact of life. Many taxidermists get mad at the suppliers instead either ignoring or forgetting that the cost to produce and ship supplies and everything that goes with them increases. IE raw materials, wages, insurance, boxes.
    If I have customers that ask for a specific form from a company I don't typically order from, I inform them that their price may increase to cover extra shipping fees, they either accept it or don't.

ANDY likes this.
  5. 13 point

A
    And I get what your saying but at the same time , it’s not right for said company to boost prices of shipping just because they are a monopoly of said trade , and I’d be willing to bet they pay nothing or very little to this site to be said sponsor . So your not going to complain or vent about any company or person that sells you a product that dissatisfies you in some way thru the sale ? I find that hard to believe as your like me , we have something to say about everything. Lol

3bears likes this.
  6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

When I was in the Marines our First Sergeant used to say, "A bitching Marine is a happy Marine" so maybe the say holds true here.

A bitching taxidermist is a happy taxidermist!

So bitch away guys and get it off your chest!

3bears and drob like this.
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Oh yes, I have issues as well but I deal with the person or company that has anything to do with those issues directly. We usually work it out but sometimes, I just quit ordering from them. There is one such company that has made that list but it does me no good to bitch about them here.
    Oh yeah look at the bottom of this page under sponsors and say again that they have little to do with this forum.

8. 13 point

I know they are sponsor, I’m saying they are not paying much if at all to be a sponsor. That’s all

9. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Guys really need to look at not using UPS. it’s them not mckenzie.
    We ship ups from my regular job and fed ex.
    A 7x5x5 box from northern MI to Cincinnati OH UPS ground is 13.16
    Same box fed ex is 9.81. And fed ex actually gets it there faster.
    Ups gives manditory driver raises ever six months. How do you think they pay for that? In November they just did a across the board 5% rate increase.

10. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

usps just raised again today. the others will follow suit. I ship a LOT. all of it is expensive. if I count my time packing and driving, or milage to any of the shipping depots I lose $ on every item I ship. with the new democratic gov`t in dc I expect all shipping to near DOUBLE in the next few years. you either raise prices to cover it... or go out of business. just how it is and going to be.

ANDY and pir^2h like this.
  11. BoneAdjuster

BoneAdjuster New Member

I dont care what McKenzie says about their shipping, they're making money off anyone that buys from them! I've worked in warehouses before and UPS and the rest have sales reps that come out and make a deal to use them over anyone else! That being said, every major corporation that ships as much as McKenzie is getting a very nice price cut on shipping

drob and pir^2h like this.
  12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I hate to break it to you but that's how business works. Why would they do anything that they don't make money on, it makes little to no sense. McKenzie also does something similar for their customers, they offer volume discounts. The more you buy from them, at one time, the more you save.

13. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Yes they do offer a break. They cover that break by marking up the shipping. Ive returned items to McKenzie through my regular job using our ( less the mckenzies) volume discount via fed ex. Having the item shipped the exact same route and through fed ex from them I’ve paid over 40 dollars less to ship it back to them.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    drob likes this.
  14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Mudbat, I understand your point but, it seems many fail to see mine. We could all use to take some lessons from companies such as McKenzie, they have it in their business plan to make money on every aspect of their products from RnD to delivery, that makes good sense. Yes they have a good handle on the market as far as variety of supplies but they do not have it locked down, there are other choices that haven't figured it out yet but, they will or likely fall into the same trap as others have and be bought out by the corporation that owns McKenzie.
    I've read your posts about skin mounts and pricing and you seem to be fine with charging well for your service but why can't they?
    PS, when I place a typical order with McKenzie, I get a big enough discount to cover whomever I choose to ship with and then some. I don't say that to brag but, to show you and others that it is possible.

15. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I don't believe anyone is arguing the notion that McKenzie's may be overcharging and making a profit. We are simply trying to explain that you can try to recoup some of those charges by raising your prices or buying from someone else. From the dozens of posts about McKenzie's and their shipping charges here and in other threads, things haven't changed. Ever. So, rant away, get it off your chest like Vic says (pir*2h - sorry Vic, I don't know how to make the arrow symbol for V=pir2h) and bitch away!

pir^2h likes this.
  16. drob

drob Active Member

The mom and pop stores charged $1.00 for a bottle of pop.The chain stores moved in and charged $2.00 a bottle.Everybody is sticking to the next guy to make ends meet.Been looking to buy a new house and people have gone nuts charging a small fortune for a dump!So sounds like thats the way of the world now - just suck it up and screw the next guy!

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It is all about perspective, in this case, I don't see it as screwing the next guy, I see it as charging to cover overhead. We all need to get over ourselves and stop the woe is me BS. If you wish to work your butt off for little to no profit then may I suggest starting a not for profit and live happy. I for one am in business to make a profit, like those controlling McKenzie. I have room for improvement as far as that goes but I raise my prices every year to account for the increases in my overhead as well as my family's needs.

18. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

There’s a lot of costs and time in my “ charging well” fee. At 30 per inch on say a 40 inch king I’m only making around 20 per hour. I also ship customer work through my regular job and pass along the shipping discount I receive. But that’s my choice to pass it along.
    Prices in taxidermy will have to continue to increase drastically and costs of materials and shipping keep going up and up. I priced myself higher then a lot of people in the state as I’m only doing fish part time and would rather the work go to people who have to make a living doing this.

3bears and drob like this.