1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oily Mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by CCas, Jan 21, 2021.

1. CCas

CCas New Member

Hi everyone, I've mounted my first goose and the feathers are still a bit greasy. I washed it once before mounting which I've now learned was not enough. Am I able to clean the feathers now that its mounted? It doesn't have that fluff like a bird should have. I tired a small area of the neck with dawn/water and a rag but it didn't seem to do anything. Any tips and techniques would be great. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I don't think you will be able to get it clean enough at this point. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and look back at it in a few years and dozens of birds from now to see how far you've come. Overall it looks like a decent job for your first goose. Anatomy and feather placement will get better the more you do..

On the next one, after degreasing the skin wash it in a soapy (Dawn) bath and agitate it around gently turning the skin inside and then outside in. Let it soak for a while and agitate the feather side to get all the oil and grease out of the feathers. Drain the sink and squeeze all the water out being careful not to let the skin rip. Follow that procedure a few more times until it is grease free. Then do the same with clean soap free rinse water. It may take numerous times to get all the soap out. When the sink full of rinse water looks clean and bubble/soap free after agitating the skin in it. It's ready to start the drying process

GotHonks and Jim McNamara like this.

3. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

In reality , De greasing the skin is the most important part of mounting a bird because if it's not done correctly the mount will look like crap , smell and collect dust really fast because dust will stick to the greasy feathers and you'll have a dust collector instead of a bird mount ... I used to try and cut corners but over time I've learned that this step of them all you can't afford to fudge ... Do it by the book .. Do it Right or don't mount the bird at all .... As far as getting the fat off ... Scissors work , but the wheel once learned is much faster and better so it pays to learn as fast as possible , I wash the skin 5 or 6 times if need be .. I want NO greasy feathers at all so I wash more than need be ... One way to tell if your skin is de greased well is it will float when clean , before they're clean they sink in water , the other method is by touch to me the feathers feel squeaky clean kinda weird feeling but I'm sure many know what I mean ... And the best method is looking at your feathers when you rinse , the down should be fluffy looking in the water .. I'll post some pics later they're in my phone not on my tablet .. Just can't stress enough how important the De greasing stage is , wish I'd figured it out long before I did ... Woulda saved lots of headaches .. And produced better work .

4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

5. GotHonks

Yup , that's the one I watched too ... Great video ... de greasing isn't my favorite thing and I've gotten good on the wheel ... What sucks is if I don't wear my glasses , I miss stuff
    I just had a nice wood duck I dryed that looked real nice feathers fluffed up great except a few on the back and the skin felt greasy in my hand , so after a closer look with my glasses on this time I could see where I left a little more fat on the back than I should've due to shot holes , tough area to de fat with no holes but with the holes it's a pain .. I have ripped big holes.in the past so maybe to careful on the backs of thin skinned ducks like woodies ( This one was triple fat ) compared to a normal one ... Anyhow .. Should be good after its outta the wash ..

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I absolutely know and understand the squeaky clean of which you speak..

GotHonks likes this.
  7. GotHonks

Yup , that Squeaky Clean feel ... That's what we're looking for in a bird skin that's cleaned and ready to be dried ..

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When you have a squeaky clean skin, you also have shiny feathers that bring out the brilliance of the colors.

GotHonks likes this.