1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing A Mink

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bigjon2, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Bigjon2

Bigjon2 New Member

Hi, I am new to taxidermy and am trying to do my second mount (The first was a fox squirrel that came out pretty good) which is a mink. I am not exactly certain how you are supposed to flesh a mink. I am not new to fleshing, as I trap and have done my share of hide preparation, but I have never come across a mink before and am not certain how to flesh for taxidermy. Would you flesh a mink similar to a muskrat in terms of not taking off the red saddle? Do you remove the saddle? Or is a mink fleshed the same way for taxidermy as for the fur market?
    Also, does anyone know of a good tutorial for mounting an open mouth for a mink that I could find?
    Thanks so much for the help! Any bit is really appreciated!

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

for taxidermy you must remove the saddle to get at the fat layer under it

Bigjon2 and bob wendt like this.

3. Bigjon2

Bigjon2 New Member

So anything that is red that is on the back has to come off?

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Anything that is not skin needs to come off. I am not familiar with a specific tutorial on open mouth mink, but anything on small mammals will be the same principles. Just take a good look at the natural mouth/teeth from the skull of the mink and get some photo references of live mink that will help you make species specific adjustments.

bob wendt likes this.
  5. Bigjon2

Bigjon2 New Member

Thank you for the help! I’ll try that!