1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Raccoon In Freezer For 7 Years...

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Honeycreek, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Honeycreek

Honeycreek New Member

Im a bird guy, deerheads by necessity. One of my clients wants to bring out a coon that has been in his freezer for... 7 years. Should this be a HARD NO right out of the gate? Even wrapped up properly = I cant imagine the paws and tail are going to be workable..

2. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

probably going to be a no go, thaw it out and see. Maybe just make a wall hanger out of it or something.

3. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

I would thaw it in a 15 gal pickle Overnight and see. If it was sealed up good and in a deep freezer it could be ok.

Keith likes this.
  4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

You could also inject pickle into the hard spots, most likely the toes, to help soften. You never really know about things left in the freezer for a long time, but surprisingly it may be alright.

Lance.G likes this.
  5. Honeycreek

Honeycreek New Member

I was hoping youd all say...TRASH IT! Nuts gotta try I guess. HATE coons.

Pickle solution?

6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

If you do take it in make sure you tell him it may not be mountable; there are no promises. I'm not so sure I wouldn't refer him to someone else since you are really a bird guy if you haven't done coons before. My $0.02 worth.

7. nemo

nemo Active Member

I took a solid black raccoon in from the wildlife agency. It had been in the freezer 5 to 6 years. It was freezer burned 100% of the animal. I used half a bottle of stop rot, injecting the raccoon everywhere. Placed him in the freezer, in a bag overnight. Fleshed the following day. Tanned and mounted up just fine. I charged for the extra time and stop rot. I also did a bobcat the same way. 6 years in the freezer, totally freezer burned