1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pearlescent Ivory Pupils Verses Dark Pupils Eyes On Walleye

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by curts quacks, Jan 29, 2021.

1. curts quacks

curts quacks New Member

idaho
    i can't get an good answer from taxidermy supply technicains, fish and game,on line articles, pictures, ect.i would like to know what is the walleye pupil color is,in their natural state in the water.From what I find ,most taxidermy suppliers only offer the pearl white and I found one that does offer a dark pupil,most don't.i have theory's,but i really want the the correct pupil colored eye in my walleye mounts and carvings

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    search underwater walleye pictures. Under certain light conditions they can be either and it also kind of depends on what body of water they are in. I've seen walleyes with a pink tint to their eyes.

msestak likes this.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

best way Ive found is use a clear pupil, then line the hollow behind eye with tin foil...has a great mirror like sheen and from different angles

hambone likes this.
  4. curts quacks

curts quacks New Member

idaho
    thankyou

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC

6. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Although I never did walleyes, someone I knew used a similar method. A dab of clear silicone on the pupil backed by a piece of white Scotchlite which can be found at any auto parts place. It gave depth and a reflective quality. I guess the trickiest part is to make sure there are no air bubbles, and let it dry (cure) thoroughly before using.

7. under water they are dark also in the shade but when light hits the pupil the back of the eye reflects it. if you were to take a clear pupil walleye eye and build a capsule (round back like a real eye)and paint the inside silver it will look dark and when you shine a light on eye will reflect and look reflective... here is what i use for walleye eyes.

ARUsher and Kerby Ross like this.