1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skunk Skin Odor Cleaning

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Triad Taxidermy, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Triad Taxidermy

Triad Taxidermy Member

Caught a large male almost all white skunk today and it sprayed on it's way up to the great white light :D
    I tried washing it (outside) with Palmolive and warm water and got some of the scent off but it's still there.......and somehow managed inside my garage...ooops My wife is not happy to say the least.

What do I wash it with to remove the smell so I can start fleshing it?

Thanks!!

2. DTS 1046

DTS 1046 Member

I use either rubbing or denatured Alcohol, it also helps set up fat so easier to flesh.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do an online search for skunk smell neutralizer consisting of peroxide baking soda and dawn dish soap.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Can give this a go. Save it if you ever have a skunked dog too. There are a lot of peoples posts online about mixing peroxide/baking soda and dish soap (read SOAP as Dawn is a detergent). Most all of them have managed to screw up the original pretty well. Here is the link to the chemists webpage that came up with the original mix. It does indeed work. For longer hair, might want to end the last rinse with a good cream conditioner to prevent tangles and keep it fluffy. https://web.archive.org/web/20200118022647/http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/

Frank E. Kotula and 3bears like this.
  5. Triad Taxidermy

Triad Taxidermy Member

Tried the recipe three times and it still smells. I’m gonna try the denatured alcohol next

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Pro 1 sell some good stuff for that , just google pro 1 tanning supplies

to be honest, I skin flesh and tan them outside far from my shop after it is tanned is when a deodorize

Johnnyclyde likes this.