1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Bubbas, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Tonight I told my first customer to take his mounts and leave our shop. As some of you know our son is going to be a game warden
    he will start his training sometime this Jan. Well tonight I had a guy come in the shop that we have been told before was someone that has been known to take deer to different taxidermy shops. Because he and his son take more then is allowed. Well he starts out telling me his son got both of these deer . I say well that kinda sucks because he has filled his tags so soon. He then saids nay we have other family members that get tags and we use them. Then he wants to fill out our book with his and his fathers names that way we can take in more bucks for his son. I tell him no he cant do that because I know his son killed these deer and I will not allow this. Ask him to take his business someplace else. He starts out by saying well you break the law if you speed.He just didnt understand when I told him its not the same. I guess it takes all kinds.

Kim Collins
    Bubba's Taxidermy

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I will not take game which I know to be illegal. I have however taken illegal game unknowingly. Game warden confiscated one deer and a Federal Agent attempted to take one on another occasion, but it had already been completed and picked up. I would have done the same thing you did.

3. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

I wont do it either. I pissed off a couple customers this past fall.. One with a Blue Wing and one with a Cinnamon Teal..

both were immaculate birds.. Both of which they claimed to shoot during the first week of December in North Texas. Well upon close inspection, you could CLEARLY see where there was sun damage on the primaries of both birds and severe dehydration of the facial skin and feet.

So what does this mean.. The sun damamge means the plumage was old.. by atleast more than three months. Considering both speices don't attain full breeding plumage until late Nov, early December to begin with told me that these birds had been harvested in the early spring if not late spring. Last I checked, this wasn't normal hunting season for North Texas. Second, the Birds were brought to me in the middle of January claiming to have been shot the past month meaning the birds had only been in the freezer for less than 50 days. Although teal are small and susecptible to freezer burn, these were packaged well, therefore I doubt this dehydration could have taken place in that short of a period of time.

When I pointed out these discrepancies, they got very defensive without me ever having to make an accusation. That gave them away. I never said anything to them, but I fabriated a 3 year waiting list and they got all huffy and left.

It just wasn't worth it.. GW's are smarter than you think..

4. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

Dwayne, You did the right thing, your and your son's reputation is on the line. I am sure almost every one knows a certain person who so called does tags. My opinion is it seem's your son in the future will have his first arrest. Because there simply is no room for these kind of individual's.

5. mrdux

mrdux Member

I think you did the right thing. I work very close with my state CO and USF&W guys since my studio is 1/4 mile from the headquarters of a NWR. MY CO was in the shop yesterday BSing and showing off some tanned capes he had trapped, fleshed at my shop and sent to a tannery I had recommended. I have never had any of these officers even ask to look at my books. They know me personally and know I'm strictly by the book. I know my inspection day will come. If you get the reputation of being a law-abiding businessperson who won't be taken over to the "dark side", you will have to deal less with folks like you described. Let them go to Joe down the road who will take in anything. If I have suspicions about a person or a work order, I will not knowingly take it in. I'm sure all of us have taken in illegal game by not knowing all the circumstances of its harvest. That's why I have a contract that each prospective customer signs and I keep my paper trail in order. If there is a legal problem it should be between the CO and the customer. I may have to eat a job but you can bet the customer will lose a deposit.

6. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

You did what was right. More people need to follow your example.

7. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with this yet. I'll tell you though, unless it's very evident the animal was taken illegally, I'll take it. My job it to mount the animal not play CSI taxidermist or game warden. Kim had good reason to suspect an illegal activity and she refused work-- good for her!

8. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

You did the right thing with refusing to take in a animal you suspect to be illegal for even if it is between the customer and warden you will be on the wardens watch list.

9. gab

gab Active Member

I agree with andyo.If it's obvious,I don't want it.But its not my job to assume or guess if it's legal or not.I leave it to my customers to be legal.But any law enforcement officer is welcome to 100% access to all of my biuldings anytime.I have a great relationship with my GW and want to keep it that way.

10. Hi All,
    Well I was right in putting this guy out. I talked with our GW last night. And today he called me to tell me that these were the 3rd and 4th bucks the guy had shot this year. He found another taxidermy shop that had 2 bucks from this loser killed this year.
    Glad to know he will not be in the woods this weekend when gun season starts. At least not with a license.

Kim Collins
    Bubba's Taxidermy