1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Old Where You When You Started

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 13 point, Jan 31, 2021.

1. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

In just a few words please answer these questions, so we can get to know ya :

how old where you when you started in taxidermy?
    What year was that ?
    Full time , part time or hobby?
    Are you still mounting anything?
    Do you or have you ever competed if so best award

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I was twenty, got hurt in army , started learning taxidermy for rehab .
    In 1982
    Still full time , meaning it’s the only thing I do , but only take in 60 pcs a year ( my choice)
    Yes i mount now
    I do compete and learn and enjoy every competition I go to , best finish is BOC in masters , people and taxidermist choice in big game .

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021

3. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Started in 1969.
    I was 10 years old.
    Started as a hobby, first business license at 16. Part time through my regular career as a biologist for the State of CA.
    Retired State service in 2016, full-time now.
    I mount Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm.
    Never saw the need to compete but enjoy looking at the talent of other artists.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I was doing antler mounts and alum tanning for my family and myself at around 14 around 1978. I continued throughout the years as a hobby adding more and more as I became a better hunter and more educated taxidermist. Around 2000, I decided to go very part time. Around 2007 I had to go full time due to necessity, rather than desire. I retired from it around 2017 due to necessity, rather than desire. Now I just do small things for myself. I never competed and I plan on doing part time after I retire from my job at a residential and commercial glass and window glazing shop.

5. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

I started at the age of 40 in 2020.
    I am a part time/hobbyist just doing stuff for myself, friends and family as of right now.
    I have not competed but would like to in the future.

6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Started in 1965 at twelve years old. (like most old timers on here, Northwestern School of Taxidermy)

Only a hobbyist, no desire to do commercial work (haven’t got the time).

Maybe if I ever decide to retire from teaching I may do some (very little) commercial work to support my hobby. I don’t want my life consumed by it.

Been to three shows. Put mounts in two of them for the critiques more than anything else.

7. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Started early 70s
    Started with north west school of taxidermy
    Was part time for 20 years, now full time
    Received multiple BOC pro and masters, and 2 best of show
    Specialty is fish, all awards are in fish category
    Like teaching kids the art

rogerswildlife and ARUsher like this.
  8. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

1962. I was 12. My best friends dad was a taxidermist. I would be over there every week since I was 8. My friends mom was our cub scout den mother. I used to skin out mice and gophers. The first animal I ever did was a weasel that I made into a rug. My first bird was a ruddy duck in 1964.
    Dabbled with it over the years then in 98 I decided to get training. Over the next 10 years I went to 5 top taxidermist for training.
    I did start competing and still chasing that blue ribbon. Red seems to be my color

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

15 years old
    Full Time since 2005
    Mount approximately 500 animals annually
    2 Blue Ribbons in the Commercial Division

Attached Files:

10. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Started in 2010, I was 36 years old at the time. Primarily I was self taught but I spent some time with Troy Rose to fine tune some things. Currently, I am full time and run my studio out of my garage. I’ve never competed but it sounds interesting. I’ve done all kinds of different artwork, from graffiti art to tattoo flash to canvas oil paintings, taxidermy is just another outlet for creativity for me.

ARUsher and rogerswildlife like this.
  11. socalmountainman

Hey, I took the Sam and Lura Touchstone Taxidermy Success Course too, but I never got a certificate!!!
    touchstone.jpg high school paper.jpg Diploma resize.jpg

12. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Started with Northwestern School at 13 in 1981.
    Full time in 1986 for a bunch of years, then did the college thing as a non-traditional student, but still did taxidermy part-time. I got back into it full time in 1997 and have been since then.
    Best award was at the 2003 World with a BOC in the small mammals Professional Division.

ARUsher, rogerswildlife and Clew like this.
  13. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

1982,17 years old,trial and error ,my first pike smelled so bad my dad made me throw it away,Bought every VHS tape Rinehart sold,I still love conventions ,Tried full time but life made me go part time

ARUsher and rogerswildlife like this.
  14. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

I started when I was 13 now im 48 now . My dad bought me books from John Rinehart school of taxidermy. I did it as a hobby for years but am full time now . I started completing in 2010 and have been to multiple state shows and nationals . I've been very fortunate and blessed to have won several BOC In professional and masters division, Breakthrough and WASCO awards two best all around taxidermist awards. I love helping others when I can .
    Tommy

15. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Started at 39
    School in 99
    Full time
    Still doing it
    Best in the World

16. Jon Heller

Jon Heller New Member

My first experience was when I was 15 back in 91 and a taxidermist friend of the family was using our shop to do some work while moving. I did a perch and walleye as he taught me. Didn't touch it until 2019 again when I picked it back up. I do it as a hobby for myself and my outdoor friends.

17. No unfortunately never had the money or the time

ARUsher and pir^2h like this.
  18. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

For young kids the main problem was money more than anything else!

19. Terry W.

Terry W. New Member

Northwest school of taxidermy in 1964 at 14 years old
    Part time only
    Just retired from my job
    doing things for just myself along with other art projects.
    Did a competition in 2012- got a red,3 white ribbons and BOC reptile

20. socalmountainman

What do you mean problem? I mowed lawns (push mower) and sold flower seeds door-to-door to make my dollar a month for my Northwestern lesson booklets (lol)!