1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Old Where You When You Started

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 13 point, Jan 31, 2021.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Supplies! The dollar a month wasn't nothing but supplies, they were not cheap for a kid!

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

But supplies were cheap (lol)!
    IMG_2216.JPG

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

If you don't have any money everything is expensive! Love that postage 24 cents, insurance 20 cents! Wasn't postage back then like six or eight cents for a normal letter! Funny that you still have that invoice. I didn't even know there was any supply houses besides J. W. Elwood when I started. He was "THE MAN!"

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I pulled tits, shoveled sh!t, bottle fed calves, fixed fence, plowed, planted and harvested for my dad to finance the aspirations of my youth...hunting, fishing, trapping, tanning, taxidermy...then came girls!!!

15pt, Clew and George like this.
  5. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

19 in 2006
    started part time at a shop all through underdrad ,masters, and most of a phd, went full time after I decided academia wasn't for me and quit my phd.
    Compete some, not in the last few years but have had a few Best of Category fish and gameheads, Taxidermists Choice, and a WASCO.

ARUsher likes this.
  6. crs

crs Member

N Tx
    1965 10 y/o picked up soda bottles and chores for neighbors for that dollar a month! Graduated at 12y/o my great uncle graduated in 1910 with exact same diploma AV Berkley signed. mine in 65 had AV Berkley IV signature. Uncle died in 1991 he lived 500 miles away went to funeral and looked in his shop/barn He had 8 eagles, dozens of hawks, owls, last work he did was in 1972. State came and destroyed it all.

socalmountainman likes this.
  7. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Both my wife and my income are split between our Etsy shop, Mounting, and working on a family farm - Etsy is more profitable than taxidermy and the farming pays for my room and board but no folding money
    more than ever
    no- had planned to last year but ... you know... the rona n all

8. kylyabs

kylyabs New Member

how old where you when you started in taxidermy? I started only a few months ago when I was 26, 27 now.
    What year was that ? 2020
    Full time , part time or hobby? Hobby, would like for it to become full time someday
    Are you still mounting anything? Saving up for a new project!
    Do you or have you ever competed if so best award. Not Yet!

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

10 years old , 1962.... Dads old nw taxidermy books...part time, but mostly full time in winter when const was slow ..... taxidermists choice, peoples choice, judges choice....best habitat, multiple purple,blue,couple red...distiguished taxidermist award

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    joeym and magicmick like this.
  10. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin Active Member

I started last year at 29. Self taught by books and videos. Started doing euro mounts now Ive done a few small mammal pedestal mounts. Fixing to make the jump into full body mount small mammals. Just do it for myself, friends and family now.

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

worked at a truck farm starting at .90 per hr... 3 hrs after school mon-fri and 9 hrs sat... walked a mile thru swamp road

magicmick likes this.
  12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

12 years old. 1958
    Started as a hobby but took my first pay job, a great horned owl, a year later. Was "professional" for the next 60 years.

13. Hobby 8yrs birds only, Thanks to you guys and buying some dvd

14. Started 12 years ago making stuffers for hunting because a guy I hunted with wouldn't teach me how. Mostly self taught except for a few classes from a great taxidermist I know. I do ducks and geese only and it has become a passion of mine to create the perfect mount with no flawed areas as is usually the case. I know there are areas of the bird that just seem to dry like I don't want and the feathers don't lay correctly but I keep trying. People love my work and say its good but I'm not there yet. Only do as a hobby and for friends. Probably will never stop trying to create the perfect bird. Never competed. Never had the need to have my work judged.

15. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I started at 30 yrs old, been full-time for 33yrs
    I competed for a couple of years in the late 80's - '92 layed off the conventions till 10 years ago 2011 and started competing again.
    The highest award my mounts have won is Best In World Medium Gamehead
    Still working full-time 6 days a week, very busy three man shop with no intentions of retirement

16. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

1978 (17 yrs old)
    Part time (shop grunt to start)
    Blue ribbon professional division in Ohio Waterfowl
    still mounting part time

17. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Member

My dad did fish in the late 50's, 60's till he passed in 75. I would watch him all the time and started doing my own in the late 60's. I could do fish, (skin, flesh, carve body's, paint with a sponge and oil paints), but then started expanding into things I shot, birds, squirrels, and deer through the 70's. I stopped for a few years in the late 90's but then got the spark again and have been going at it again with mainly deer and a few fish. Not much request for birds, but I don't advertise either. All self taught through old taxi instruction books, and now still pick up pointers from youtube and this site. Plan on opening a shop up in 3 years.

18. Harum

Harum Active Member

In the early 70’s I used to skin pheasants and what have you, salt them and hang them on my wall. At 10 years old I finally ordered taxidermy manuals out of the back of a field and stream magazine. Unfortunately my Mom got to them before me and threw them away. She had told me it was due to the description of how to squeeze a pigeon with your hands to kill it so you didn’t hurt the plumage... So, I started painting and sculpting animals. I didn’t start taxidermy until around 2003 when I started mounting my own deer. In 2007 I mounted my first fish then entered it in the Masters category at the World show in Reno. Nobody beat me but, with a score of 87 I didn’t win the title. A few years later I placed third in World with my second skin mount (the one in my avatar) and in a couple more years I placed first in World with my third skin mount. I’m self-taught and I don’t do it for a living. I do have some pretty nice mounts on my wall though.

Bruledrift, It would be really cool to see some of your Dads mounts from the 50’s and 60’s. Does your name reference the Brule River that starts in Solon Springs? My Dad grew up fishing that river.

-Pete

19. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Member

Pete, yes it does. I was just up there fishing this past Saturday. I guess it is my favorite place in the world to be, beautiful river and wild steelhead. Can't beat it. I don't have any pictures of them, I should though. My brother still lives in the house, if I have time I will stop in and take some. It is something to stand there and look at all of them. It is like a school of fish all around you. Problem is finding something to do with all of them when that time comes. I may need to contact the Brule River sportsman's club, a tavern or restaurant, or something.

Harum likes this.
  20. Harum

Harum Active Member

Cool! My Dad used to talk about all the Browns he would catch in there. I’ve been to Solon Springs a few times but, haven’t fished the Brule yet.