1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Raptor Salvage Permit Questions

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Triad Taxidermy, Jan 31, 2021.

  1. Triad Taxidermy

    Triad Taxidermy Member

    Hey Guys,
    Over the past two years I have noticed a lot of hawks, falcons and owls dead on the highway. I know that I can't posses them without some sort of Salvage permit. My question is how to get one through US fish and wildlife? We home school our children and do a lot of wildlife lessons. Can I apply for a salvage permit for educational purposes to use in our homeschool? I see that Mckenzie has raptor forms and heads so there has to be a way of doing it. I also found a taxidermist called "whistling wings avian taxidermy" that has all sorts of raptor mounts on his website. I figured I would ask here before contacting him.

    This is the link for the US fish and wildlife permit page.

    Any help would be appreciated!
  2. Triad Taxidermy

    Triad Taxidermy Member


  3. George

    George The older I get, the better I was.

    Actually you don't. Because you are home schooling and teach only your children, you don't qualify for the "school" exception in their permit clause. States individually may create permits for state agencies, libraries, and schools. Established museums may create their own permits. This only applies to hawks, owls, and scavengers EXCEPT EAGLES AND CONDORS.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Johnnyclyde and magicmick like this.
  4. JoshuaTreeBirds

    JoshuaTreeBirds Member

    Look up your regional Migratory Bird Permit Office number and contact them, they have more bird-specific knowledge in regards to legalities. I myself have had salvage permits so here is some of my knowledge and 2 cents about it. You must be an educational institution- a state recognized museum, school, wildlife refuge, etc. in order to keep them. I had salvage permits so I could pick up birds I found, and mount them on behalf of an educational center. That is all the permit allows you to do, is to salvage on behalf of such an institution, specifically and ONLY for *educational purposes*. You must keep extensive records and can only possess the bird for a certain few months (to do the taxidermy work), then it must be given to the institution for permanent storage/display. Under no circumstances may an individual keep such birds for personal use, it's only the institutions that can get permits to keep them. Sadly, homeschool most likely doesn't count. If you want to salvage you will have to partner with an institution who needs the work done. "Migratory Bird Special Purpose Salvage Permit" you will need the state version of the permit, and in some places a federal version also. In my state a "Special Purpose Scientific Collection" permit was also required. So 3 permits plus regular taxidermy permit. I think most other taxidermists mount birds for museums that were already salvaged by the institution- rather than getting permits to salvage themselves. To mount birds that the institution had already salvaged, all I had to have was my regular Migratory Bird Taxidermy permit. That is probably how most others do it, but it bugged me too much to leave cool dead birds on the side of the road, so I got those salvage permits. I can at least go visit the birds at the education center and they didn't go to waste, they are seen by thousands of people. But I'm not sure it was worth it, too much hassle. They've expired but I probably won't renew them. The center has plenty of their own salvages for me to work on anyway.
  5. joeym

    joeym Old Murphey

    Just bury them with a shovel, then bury the shovel. Why put yourself through all that paperwork only to be denied. I refuse hawks and owls all the time that are roadkill.