1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

$155.00 Mismatch

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by pir^2h, Feb 1, 2021.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I decided to get a cast lip red fox shoulder mount. What a mistake. The lip doesn't even line up with the bridge of the nose. I contacted McKenzie customer service and they forwarded the photos and e-mail to their tech team who says it is the right piece for this fox. When you pay $155.00 bucks for something you expect it to fit somewhat. I got the DVD with them using the cast lip on a bear and they say, "Light sanding may be necessary." McKenzie, this is a defect in the system. It should not be off by this much. And I can't return it because I already prepped the form assuming it would all go together as designed. Thanks a lot. I probably won't be getting any more cast lip products from you if this is the best you can do. I have the lip pressed up as far as it will go. I didn't expect to have to start cutting the form and sanding this much. IMG_3779.JPG

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Those are made to fit a bunch of different heads , you have to sand or fill for the perfect fit . As I agree for the cost they should fit better , with a little work you can make it work.

3. pir^2h

Like you and I both said 13 point, for the cost I shouldn't have to "make" it fit.

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

you really should not have to re work it much Your right. When you buy a car the fenders and doors should line up. You should not have to have them fixed after the purchase by the dealer or yourself. I think like you it is a more quality control issue than anything else. Out of whack products should be spoiled and discarded instead of sold . Nothing in their catalog comes with the phrase "Will need to be repaired or altered before use."

Lance.G and pir^2h like this.
  5. pir^2h

McKenzie called me and said it was from the expansion of the foam that caused the mismatch. If the foam is in a decent mold I don't see how it could expand that much. I still say it is a defect in design.

I made it fit eventually but I am not happy about having to do something that I shouldn't have to do to begin with.

13 point and Lance.G like this.
  6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Unless I'm looking at it wrong, I see about an 1/8 of foam that needs sanded. How is that even an issue?

catman likes this.
  7. pir^2h

That isn't the only place it doesn't match up. If you look close at the back corner you can see a gap there when the lip piece is short. For the price it should be better than what I got. It isn't like its a $25.00 form where you would expect crap. It was premimum priced item.

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Lol yep doing a coyote had the same issue but having my own casted noses I just cut it off and installed the right size for the dog. Lol I had this little nose for a decent sized dog. This is way I say learn to cast and most of the time you can fix issues

pir^2h likes this.