1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Air Dry Vs Salted Skins For Tannery

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bradsbirds, Feb 7, 2021.

1. bradsbirds

bradsbirds New Member

I've got several coyote hides skinned and in the freezer. Planning to scrape them soon and would like to know the preferred method to dry them prior to shipping to the tannery for soft wall hangers. Is it best to salt them and let dry or to just air dry them. If salting is best, what is the correct way to salt and dry them. Thanks.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Salt dry them. Reason being salt likes water and will absorb the water better for hydration. Other is that salt pulls out a lot of non tannable fluids , aids in setting hair plus a better quality tan.
    Air dried like those we see are much harder to get water in the skin for hydration plus those skins are mainly for garments and go through a much different process and their not as worried about slippage as we are.

3. bradsbirds

bradsbirds New Member

Thank you. It's my understanding that these wallhanger pelts are "garment tanned" correct? As far as salting, do I let it sit for days, change the salt each day, hang it up to dry after a day or two, etc....

4. ratso

ratso Member

Frank is spot on. To salt flesh completely, face,feet. Get as much fat out as you can witout pulling hair. Make sure the fur side is COMPLETELY dry. Use non iodized salt. Salt well rubbing face, feet, and tail extra well. Hang, I use a zip tie through the nose for hanging. I use a plastic tote for salting. Put a good fan or two on them. If humidity is high add heat to the room. A catch tub under them will catch moisture and loose salt. Drying should take less then 48 hours this way with only one salting needed for coyotes. Dry fur and a not sloppy wet skin side are the start. If fur damp slipping can happen even when salting more then once. Once dry store,not in plastic, in a dry low humidity area or ship again not in plastic.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. bradsbirds

bradsbirds New Member

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No their not garment tanned. Very few companies do garment tans.
    Any salt will work except rock. Iodine salt does nothing so don’t worry if that’s all you have.
    you salt next day, shake off, resalt hang to dry. The use of a fan aids in drying it faster.