1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Coyote Pelt

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Co-yote, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Co-yote

Co-yote New Member

Hey, I am very very new to this. I have a coyote pelt for my first project. Planning on doing a full mount.
    Questions
    #1 What is the easiest and best way to flesh the head? I'm having trouble with it and I really dont want to mess it up.
    #2 Can I leave the ears in or do I need to take them out? If I need to take them out any tips?
    #3 I have all of the bones out of the paws (Excluding the last one with the nail attached) . The fat is still on the pads. Would it be fine to take the fat off the big pad and leave the others alone, I've seen some people do that what are your opinions?

I am sure I have more questions these are all I can really think of now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Lil critters

Lil critters Member

Just a quick reply to some of your questions. When the head is turned inside out I would put it over a board and scrap the flesh off with a knife. Have to be careful not to cut to deep. Also a exacto knife works very nice to do the eye and nose splitting. The ears stay on the head but also need to be split which means separating the front of the ear from the cartilage. Hope this helps you out.

3. Co-yote

Co-yote New Member

Yes definitely helps! Anything helps haha Thank you!

4. Lil critters

Lil critters Member

No prob. Also the pads. I would flesh out and then fill up with critter clay when mounting . Fills them out nice with less shrinking.