1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dark Speckling On Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Mouse17, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

I just got a new coyote skull and it’s got dark specking along most of it. What is this and how can I remove it?[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Put in peroxide

3. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

Th
    Thanks I will try that

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I would also say peroxide. Looks like mold. Did you clean it yourself or buy it from someone? What is the history of it, where it has been ect.

5. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

I
    I bought it, not sure about the history. It was rated as craft grade and is missing a couple teeth, also a couple edges have a rough texture to them, feels almost like wood? Don’t know anything else about its history unfortunately.

painted some volume 40 on it and left it to sit, I’ll let you know what it’s looking like tomorrow.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

U really need to submerge soak it for a day or so for best results , it needs to attack it from both sides meaning inside and out

7. Sea Wolf

Submerge it as above. Find a container, or sturdy Ziploc bag that it will fit into and pour in peroxide until it is covered. If you don't really have any on hand, the cheaper 3% for cuts might improve it but it will take several days of soaking. The "wood" feeling bone you describe rather sounds like bone that has been boiled to death. Good bone should be solid. Not crumbly or soft or flaking/powdery. That damage is permanent and the cost to fix it is more expensive than just buying a raw skull and preparing it properly. Raw coyote skulls can be gotten for around $5 each.

8. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

I don’t have any liquid peroxide on hand, would soaking in rubbing alcohol work? Luckily this skull was super cheap, I didn’t realize how rough it’s condition was until it arrived.

9. Sea Wolf

No. Peroxide. You can get the 3% cheap at any grocery in the first aid section. It will take longer to work than the commercial stuff and it won't be as good a whitening job but it will have an effect. Let it soak for a few days in it.

10. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

Thanks guys, it’s in peroxide right now and I’ll update in a few days

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  11. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

Just took it out and it looks great. Peroxide brought out some grease so its in degreasing now, thanks so much for the help :)