1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Wood Duck

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by kimbo, Feb 10, 2021.

1. kimbo

kimbo Member

Hi all!

It’s been a long while since I’ve posted here. Getting back into taxidermy after about a decade. Recently was gifted 3 wood ducks to practice on. This is my first attempt at a wood duck using the “good” bird of the lot. The other two are one that’s poor (pin feathered, shot off tail) and another that’s pretty nice for an early season bag.

I struggled a lot on this mount, from fleshing to trying to get the feather patterns right. I don’t wire wheel, so all hand fleshing and defatting with curved tip scissors and wire brush. I also followed Nancy’s washing tutorial. I could not get the right side pocket to line up proper; tried pulling the skin forward and filling the side out a bit as I’ve seen suggested. I placed that side away from view after I got it as best I could. I’m not completely satisfied with the pose; something about it seems off but I’m not sure what. The feet I still need to paint. For the next attempt, I think I will detach to inject. Still need to go in and do more grooming once I remove the carding.

Overall, I’m okay with the result.
    However, always looking to improve.

E4CE5CEB-6249-46FA-8A96-B2E103F82AFD.jpeg F39A2C8B-83F2-4DF1-AC29-0D1EF6277E73.jpeg 9541DAAF-2730-4C9F-844B-6E714A2DDB96.jpeg F5855F6D-57AF-4C27-9A23-D4B739EFE003.jpeg

GotHonks, pir^2h and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  2. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

Sometimes the side pockets wont come up due to two things. The wing it placed to far down the side of the bird or the body is to big (Smaller is better) to allow the belly, side pocket skin to be taxi'd up the side of the bird. When the wing is in the right place and there is enough skin to allow the side pocket to relax and come up it will almost go there on it own. Grooming should be done during mounting as the feathers will set as the skin dries and moving them is hard to do. Great job keep at it. Understand this was meant as information not criticism Stay safe

Jim McNamara and pir^2h like this.

3. kimbo

kimbo Member

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

I did have problems with the body being too large. I had to cut it down quite a bit but maybe it was quite enough. Grooming wise, I think it’ll just be some finishing grooming but not too much feather adjustment. It’s probably too dry already anyway.

any thoughts on the pose?

4. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I wonder why the head is posed as it is? It certainly takes away from the throat area and a more graceful piece. Taxi the head skin towards the front some to get the crest more open and full. Try using a little air to back groom the head too to get the crest open. Woodies are tough to pull off as a first attempt, you didn’t do too bad.

Wildthings likes this.
  5. kimbo

kimbo Member

Thanks for the feedback, Jim.

I think I was trying for a more relaxed pose. But maybe I should tilt the head up instead of down? For the crest, is it too flat? I lined up the skin and beak when I glued it down but maybe I didn’t push the top part far enough. I’ll try tweaking it some tomorrow. Thank you!