1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Duck Heads

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by killitandfillit, Feb 10, 2021.

1. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

Hello I tried my first molding project. It didn’t go so well. I used smooth-on 0035 fast silicone for the mold. I screwed the real frozen head to cardboard. Put a pice of 2” pipe around it and glued it to the cardboard.
    The problem was the frozen head thawed out too quick and made a gooey mess inside the mold. Which wouldn’t bother me if the mold was good. It was very disappointing as I’ve read several articles and YouTube videos.
    It was not that cheap of a project and was wondering what you think I may have done wrong.
    The skull portion was very textured and well..... ugly. The bill was beautiful on the bottom side but on top you would have thought their was a huge tumor on it about 1 1/2 inches long by 1/4 inch wide. ??

Should I try to make a rough mold either a tube of silicone or cheaper material then Cast that and sculpt from that cast before using the expensive molding products. It seemed to work great on the videos I watched. I was very disappointed if anyone has any suggestions I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Moisture is your enemy, in both molding and casting. Did you put your mold in the freezer during set up?

3. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

No not on set up

4. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

I didn’t freeze while setting It took like 5 minutes to set up on the outside. I waited about 2 minutes before removing the head from the mold.

I removed the pintail head see it was no good. Then I got a mallard drake head out of the freezer. With the roughly shaped head of the pintail I tried a different plan of attack. I thinned bondo with paint thinner and applied it to the skull and froze it while it set. In hopes to maybe be able to smooth out the molding of the skull side of the cast. But it was to no avail. Maybe just a dumb idea but it seemed like it might help. I’ll keep trying.

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Is that silicon a tin or platinum set?
    That platinum will not set with raw animal tissue
    I’ve cast allot of big fish heads frozen using GI1100

6. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

Not 100percent sure. It is from smooth-on it’s the 0035 stuff. I spoke with their rep and that’s what he said was good because it set very quickly. Im very new to molding so forgive my ignorance.

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I screw a duck head to a piece of wood with bill facing up and freeze it solid. Take it out and smear 100% silicone from a caulk tube all over it in a thin layer making sure it contacts all surface well. It then goes back in the freezer for a couple days. Then out it comes for a heavier layer of the same silicone and back into the freezer. I may do one more layer or two. Then a take a scalpel and make a cut from the v notch at the bill on the underside to the back of the skull. Essentially along the bottom of the head. This helps allows me to remove the real head. Blow out the mold and let it completely dry. Dust a little baby powder in the inside or use a spray release. Fill with casting material. They can be used over and over

3bears and killitandfillit like this.
  8. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

killitandfillit likes this.
  9. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

You don't thin Bondo with paint thinner! Your problem is moisture from the real head. You need to apply your molding material of choice, then put it back in the freezer during set up.

killitandfillit likes this.
  10. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

Ok. I appreciate all of you guys responding. I’ll go for round two this weekend. I’ll try the silicon out of the tube. And freeze. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

11. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

Re
    ad the info provided thanks a lot. I seen this once but I over looked I guess...... could have saved some money. But it’s only money right! Lol. Thanks again.

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    FYI I do as wildthings described, I use a chip brush and xylol to smooth out the silicone,

killitandfillit and Wildthings like this.
  13. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Unfortunately we need the full name as they have 30 in platinum and tin and that makes a huge difference in casting a frozen or fresh duck heads or anything that has moisture in our business.
    It’s best to use tin silicone for this project as it works with moisture. ( there’s a lot that went wrong here that you don’t understand)
    Ok now having the right silicone ( tin) and you froze the head and made a container to hold the head and silicone in. mix up the amount you need. ( now you don’t need fast set with a frozen head as I’ll get there.
    pour the silicone into the mold slowly so you get no air bubbles. ( it’s great if you have a vacuum pump but not necessary)
    Work the silicone or vibrate it to pull the air bubbles up.
    now put the project back into the freezer for a week or two. Your duck head needs to stay frozen and the cold will slow down the process of the silicone to set but it will set up in the freezer.
    Or if using a thawed head, seal with lacquer ( aids in keeping moisture in) do the same set up but make sure your silicone will set up in 30 minutes or less. you want to keep moisture or fluids leaking cause when your silicone is setting up and a pool of moisture flows to a spot the silicone though will still set but being able to move yet will set up with that flaw.

Now I personally like to paint a coat on first to make sure you get in all the crevasses. Then my head is screwed into a stick and my silicone is poured into a cup and my duck head will be inserted into the silicone till it sets.

14. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

15. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

Tried to upload pictures.

Turin’s out I’m worse at technology than molding. Lol. It’s called. Ecoflex 00-35 fast. It says platinum cure silicone rubber compound Pourable silicone rubber

Attached Files:

16. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Platinum will not worth casting meaty materials
    You can freeze dry it then seal it and all should be fine

17. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yep platinum is not what you should use. You need to seal it with lacquer to control the moisture. And if that’s not done correctly your still going to have issues.
    When you spoke with them did you tell them is was a wet specimen that you’ll be casting? If not they gave you the right answer to many many more casts , casted from a plastic head.
    Get yourself some mold max 30 with fast cast. Cast your wet specimen first, make any repairs from the casted head, then make a platinum mold from there. This way it’ll last longer than tin. Tin will slowly disintegrate or tear in 6-12 months cause it’s an alcohol base product.