1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bighorn Ram Horns /off Skull

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 13 point, Feb 12, 2021.

1. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Having issues getting the horns off the sheath/skull , I don’t want to soak them in water , I normally set them to side and let them basically rot then lay board on skull and hit with hammer after I hit all around horn with a noblow hammer to loosen and they pop off , but this one is being stubborn. Any suggestions. Please only answer if you have done this type of ram before, not looking for suggestions just because you slept in a holiday inn last night kinda thing lol . Thanks. For the help

Alexander likes this.
  2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Glen, unfortunately due to the cold, you have few choices other than bagging them with a wet towel and setting that in a warm place. Without having fly's to lay eggs this time of year, you are stuck if you don't want to macerate in water. Sealing in moisture will keep the horns from drying out until you can get insect activity in warmer conditions. You might try finding maggots at a bait & tackle shop and add them to the bag.

13 point likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Thanks Bruce , I had the maggots working on it as my back room was stinking and full of those nasty suckers lol , that said when I tried to knock them off as usual, these sucker don’t budge . I agree the cold now is not helping. Thanks

4. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I soaked my desert Rams skull. It took up to four weeks to get each one off. I had to let them dry to get measured for B&C.

5. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Glen, keep the inside of the bag moist and let the maggots keep working. Keep the skull plate facing up and make sure it is damp. It will take time for them to work, but they will come off as long as you have insect activity in the bag. The more maggots you have the better.

13 point likes this.
  6. jimss

jimss Active Member

I've done this with several bighorns...including several pickups that were totally dried out. The worse thing you can do is let the skull, sheaths, etc dry out! Do everything in your power to keep them in 1 or several thick garbage bags. As mentioned above if it's left in a warm spot they will rot quicker. It usually takes time for the meat to decompose and loosen up.

After sitting I bang the horns and skull with forehead hitting the ground as hard as you can. I try doing this on grass where there is a little give. If that doesn't work I'll put a fairly thick carpet layer on more solid ground and try the same thing. The horns can take a pounding but you obviously don't want to screw up the horn on a hard surface.

If you've tried this for weeks and nothing happens you may be forced to dump it in a garbage can in water and let them soak and rot off that way. I had to do this on just 1 ram because the horns were totally dried out and stuck to the skull.

13 point likes this.
  7. Try pulling with a strap. Fasten 1 horn to something solid, wrap a ratchet strap to other horn and again fasten to something solid. Tighten strap to apply pressure. Hit either horn or both with hammer.

13 point likes this.
  8. point75

point75 Active Member

I keep the nose pointed upwards and put a few mLs of water between the horn and core each day. In the summer it usually take a week to free the horns. In the winter, it can take 6-8 weeks. I don't like the bag method because I sometimes get a mold residue on the horns.