1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Crappie Replica

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Wally Gator, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

Good afternoon friends. I know this topic has been discussed recently, but that thread got highjacked with unethical suggestions. Let’s keep this one honest.
    I have a 3-1/2 pound black crappie, 17” long, 15-1/2” girth. The customer wants a replica. I have never done a replica, so for this one I would prefer a ready to paint one. I have been shopping the web and just can’t find the dimensions I want. So far my favorite option is from Waters by Klaus. It is 17” long but only 14-14” girth. It really looks good.
    Before I buy it, does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Blessings

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    That one from klaus is nice
    Lake country but they are out to 12 weeks
    Jimmy Lawrence May have one that size

Wally Gator likes this.

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Just talked the LCR about getting some fins. They told me the lead time for a blank was starting at 14 weeks out. Which is nuts for the lack of quality and quality control. Ken B and Rich may have some in that size. There’s a WRC blank from mckenzie that is 17x14 . Customers for skins Ive learned are annoying with measurements. Just taped a steelhead that was supposed to be 34.75. I tried all different types of ways to measure it’s a can’t get it to break 32!

4. Wally Gator

I just found one from Warren’s that is the dimensions that I want. However there are no detailed pics on his website. Does any have any input on his blanks? Feel free to send private message if you don’t have good remarks.
    Thanks

5. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Try Randy Budzinski , Master fish taxidermy in east Lansing Michigan he dose the best crappie hands down

Wally Gator likes this.
  6. Wally Gator

Thanks. I have reached out to him asking the details of the largest one he has.

tazzymoto likes this.
  7. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

Haha, laughing with you, not at you. Customers measure too long, 99% of the time.

Mudbat likes this.
  8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    quit stretching your tape measure, you're suppose to fold it

jigginjim and Mudbat like this.
  9. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

My favorite is a ridged roll tape angled a bit and over the top!