1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Air Brush & Cold Temps.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tmdennis, Feb 14, 2021.

1. tmdennis

tmdennis New Member

Hi all! Is 50 degrees to cold to use an airbrush? I can't keep the paint flowing(water base) and this is the only thing I can figure. I am thinning with retarder but I keep clogging up. My paints are stored at this temp also, will warming them help any. I really don't have any option except an unheated basement. Thanks for any input!

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

50 Degrees really should not be too cold to airbrush, even with water based paints. If your air supply dry? Just for kicks, run some warm water over a bottle of paint until it reaches 75-80 degrees and see if the paint will flow. If that helps, warm the colors you plan to use and keep them warm by placing in a small insulated cooler packed with some warm rags to keep them warm while you are painting.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off retarder is not a thinner! You need to use their products for your waterbase paints! To much retarder will cause issues because it breaks down the paint. This is why we do 1-3 drops in a most airbrush cups.
    Your air pressure can be another issue as it’s not turned up enough to push out the paint. If your using a gravity fed cup less is needed but a syphon fed needs more to carry the paint up.
    Yes 50 is a bit cold to work in especially waterbase cause it’ll take a lot longer to dry between coats and can be very frustrating.

drob likes this.
  4. tmdennis

tmdennis New Member

Thank you Joey & Frank! I'm using a bear 2 stage siphon feed, normally use 22-25lbs pres. I brought paints upstairs overnight to warm to room temp. I painted a walleye and crappie over the summer with no issues to speak of. I'm currently finishing a deer and nothing but probs so figured it had to be temp. Turned pres. up to 30 and less retarder and warm paint seems to be flowing good! Thank you again!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Could also be moisture in your air hose or tank/compressor. It gets warm blowing out then hits colder air instant moisture. Take brush off turn compressor on and lay hose on ground see if anything comes out . Can still happen with a separator .