1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat Toe Bones

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by jerhuntr, Feb 17, 2021.

1. jerhuntr

jerhuntr New Member

I was shown once to leave the last toe bone connected to the claw which helps you have some "control " when positioning the toes. How many of you do this? From what I can gather, most of you remove to the last joint, leaving only the claw. This seemed to help with anchoring the toe and holding a more natural position. Have even attached a short piece of wire with hot glue to broken off toe bone or just to "recreate" the bone armature if its completely removed to the claw. Skinning another bobcat this morning and just looking for more suggestions .

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I skin all the way to the claw, that way I know I get as much tissue out as possible. When mounting I then fill with clay and pose. I'm curious how positioning the claws with the bone in there would go, I'm guessing a little more troublesome but not sure, never tried.

3. jerhuntr

jerhuntr New Member

I cut all the toes completely off of the mannequin to allow room for the bones. This just helps keep the claws retracted and from leaning left or right I believe. I've done both ways and only do this on Bobcats occasionally. I guess any cats with retractable claws it would work. And yes I make sure I get all the flesh with a wire wheel but obviously there may be cartilage in between the joint similar to mounting a bird I guess

4. jerhuntr

jerhuntr New Member

Her name has since left my brain along with other knowledge, but she did a bobcat seminar at a California Association of Taxidermy show several years ago and this is her method. Seem to work well the times I have done it, have had no problems at all

5. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

John Bellucci used that method in His African Lion manual. I have never tried it though.

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I flesh to the claw but leave bone to the first knuckle. It seems to help me keep the toe lined up better and the claw retracted. I also had a few claws come off at the skin when I cut all the bone out...I may have cut too close or something, but I had a heck of a time fixing that error.

7. jerhuntr

jerhuntr New Member

Thanks guys for the input! Working on another bobcat now, probably one of the last as CA fish and game has made these cute kitties protected and you can no longer Harvest them. I have one more that has been in the freezer for several years that was donated to me when somebody was moving. Glad I hung on to it now