1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For Critique On My First Deer Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Rhianna Campbell, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Hi, I am new to taxidermy, I started in January of this year. I was hoping to get some critiques on my first deer shoulder mount to know what I need to improve on in the future. Thanks! 20210203_184949.jpg 20210203_184954.jpg 20210203_185000.jpg Snapchat-60276318.jpg

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Welcome to the “taxidermy” world ! There are few things that jump out from the photos, but remember that photos seem to bring out more details and flaws than the naked eye may see looking at the mount. I always recommend taking photos while the mount is still fresh, before it sets, to make adjustments comparing the photos to reference photos of live deer (or whatever you’re working on).
    As for your deer, the ears are crisp and clean looking but are positioned angled or twisted a little too far up; the ear butts are too thick and don’t have the correct form or muscle detail. In one of the photos the nose is curved up too high, but that may have been corrected as it doesn’t seem too off in the final photo. The lips need to be tucked more; the lip skin should not be showing down the side of the mouth and very little, if any, of the lip right under the nose. The color of the eyes seems a little dark, but it’s hard to be specific as the photos don’t show much detail. The last thing I’ll point out is the positioning of the hide. The hair-line on the deer’s right leg is about right, but the white arm-pit hair-line on the left side is on the outside of the leg. The center-line of the brisket and the tuft of hair at the peak of the brisket is pulled a tad to the deer’s left. There are certain hair patterns and color lines that you want to be aware of. Be sure and line those up before securing the skin of the back of the form and before the glue is set, then give it a good grooming making sure the hair is laying correctly. Overall you did a good job for your first mount. Keep on working at it, use good reference photos and don’t ever be afraid to reach out on here and ask questions. Again, welcome to the Taxidermy.net family!

msestak, tem, Vulpes Vulpes and 2 others like this.

3. Thank you so much for your very specific comments for things to look out for next time, and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. :)

msestak likes this.
  4. Dennis Duffy

Dennis Duffy Well-Known Member

The Antlers look set a little too far forward.....the bases usually follow the same angle as the angle of the top of the deers nose......so if you look from the side you can see it does not follow the same angle......but the safe way to be sure to get the angle of the antlers exact is to measure (before skinning the head) from the tip of the nose to each antler tip. Pretty good work for your first deer!

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Typically, a first mount will have more wrong than right. If you accept your critiques, learn from them and push forward you will do fine. Your second will be better and by the time you're on your 10th, there will be a lot more right than wrong. By your 20th, you'll be a pro. Never stop learning and your mounts will usually be better than the last. Good luck.

6. Thank you! I will keep that in mind!!

msestak likes this.
  7. Th

msestak likes this.
  8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Antlers are also set to deep , remember mouth and tear ducts when tucked should be hair to hair . I’m thinking your making your lip and tear ducts slots to big . Not sure why you use so many pins , remember you want your mount to dry slowly, it’s not pin it and forget it , by using so many pins you can’t adjust the skin as it dries . You should bag it , see my tutorial on bagging. One last thing , just because it’s on the form doesn’t mean it belongs and at the same time does mean it has to be removed,ie the nose you dug it all out and that’s not needed , study the nose and how the skin roll in and such and some of the interior nose foam will stay . Then in the front corner of the eye you do have to remove that foam so the eye skin rolls in to make the front of your eye correct. I believe Mike covered the rest . Keep at it , your on your

Rhianna Campbell and msestak like this.
  9. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

nice mount. follow what the others said and you're on your way. i would add, join your states taxidermy association, enter competitions, get the mounts critiqued and attend the seminars that interest you. tons of valuable info learned this way.

https://ttataxidermy.com/

Rhianna Campbell likes this.
  10. Dingo.303

Dingo.303 New Member

Good stuff and Well Done.
    im like You, new as, ive done 6 or so head now! each one improves, an my first is not BAD but is not good............. my latest is not great but its OK... :)

I did just mostly wanna say - Kudos to the above posters who have been nothing short of inspiring with their critique to this Newbie Taxo!

its very easy to point out the Wrongs and rub a bit of salt in them as ya brush over it , which as we all know can be very offputting , but thats possibly why all the responses were Great , because You all been here before :)

So, keep it up Girl and well done fellas.
    cheers
    Hilldog

msestak likes this.