1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mallard

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by yote20, Feb 21, 2021.

1. yote20

yote20 New Member

Hey guys. Any tips? First time doing a duck. Used Joe Kaiser and Frank Newmyer DVD. Not sure why the middle of the back looks sunken in. I've tried lifting it, fluffing it, preening it. Still sinks back in. Missing feathers? Washed in dawn 4 times, rinsed 4 times, then dried with a blow dryer. Thing is full of holes. I feel like the neck looks goofy too. Probably more thread than there is bird skin lol. Anyways, any help to improve would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Wash your bird more thoroughly, always wash it an extra time, even when you think that it’s clean. Use the birds real neck until you’ve mastered not only how the neck moves, but how and where it attaches to the head and body. And of course study anatomy, study anatomy, study anatomy.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

General information - I think it was the last edition of Taxidermy Today Magazine I read that Kail Shumacker (Sorry if I misspelled the name!) uses Tide with Oxi and says it does much better than Dawn. I bought some Tide and the next time I do a bird I am going to try it out myself. Four washes and rinses is a lot of work! Most likely more than you need to do.

4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

The mallard is still a little oily/dirty in the feathers. If it was clean, the feathers would be soft and fluffy and would lay in the proper place by themselves, especially after blowing air on it. It doesn't matter the soap. I've used them all and they all work. Dawn takes a little more rinsing to get it completely out so, I buy Tide Detergent powder when its on sale. Over all, you have done a great job on your first duck, It looks much better than my first which I threw out! Of course we didn't have YouTube and DVD's 50 yrs. ago!
    Gadwall Rouleau.jpg Connor Teal.jpg

5. yote20

yote20 New Member

Thanks everybody. Sounds like I might switch to Tide on the next one cause it sounds easier. Those are beautiful birds Socal.

socalmountainman likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have always used dawn on my uplands and turkeys and they always came out shiny and squeaky clean. The turkey that I tried Tide on came out dull looking with no shine to it. I do admit that the plumage on that particular one was a little strange as if it never molted over the year as the feathers were that of an October jake instead of a spring jake when I killed it.
    Maybe I'll try Tide again on the next one I'm mounting.