1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Q On Doing A Grooming Deer.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tem, Feb 21, 2021.

1. tem

tem Well-Known Member

hello all. got a customer that wants a grooming buck mount. I never done one and was wondering can some one give me some hints on doing one. or is there a video on doing one. I herd you should remove the head to work on it. thank you for all and any help.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I don't know of a video offhand that shows the process on that particular mount. I would probably cut it off at the bend in the neck and mount the head and top half of the neck first, making sure I had the cape taxied to the correct position (hair patterns). I would also cut it in a V shape to allow it to reposition easier. As far as a video, I don't know of one, but there may be one out there, you would just have to search through all of the supply catalogs on line. There's a ton of resource videos out there.
    One thing I would note is that some of the grooming deer I have seen have the head and neck bent more than I think they can actually bend in reality. If it were me, I think I would alter something like the McKenzie 8900 wall pedestal. But that's just me...

3. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I been looking for a videos but cant seem to find one. I thought about altering one. Ill play it by ear. Thanks mike.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I did one years ago and I used the form VanDykes offered. Fosters had one or two as well. It actually was the size I needed. I did remove the head and used the half jaw set, removed bottom jaw of form and installed jaw set. I them made it into a cast lip set up with apoxie sculpt, I also removed the nose and carved out my nostrils and did all of my apoxie work and paint work in the nose and jaw set and reattached to the form. Once dry the finish work was minimal, a small strip of apoxie and blend and then blend paint. I think if you only use a small y cut, it may be harder to get the cape on, on that cape it was cut all the way down the back. Make sure you have carved out enough foam where the neck skin has to tuck under the jaw on the inside of the turn. If you get what I'm meaning.

5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thank you 3bears. thanks for the info. didnt know nothing about the skin under the jaw. could you please explane the cutting out of the form under the jaw. is this to tuck the extra skin because of the turn. and how much to cut out. thank you again.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome. Yes, it is for the extra skin on the inside of the turn. It is hard to explain just how much of a slot to cut. I don't know your experience with life size animals but I'd say treat it like the legs of a life size bear standing on all four legs, often times a pretty big slot is needed to tuck that skin. Test fitting will help to tell you how big of a slot.

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thank you sir. I got it now.

3bears likes this.