1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Help With Pony Mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Swan_song_taxidermy, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Swan_song_taxidermy

Swan_song_taxidermy New Member

Hi, dont know if i did this thread right and have posted in beginners as well so feel free to delete or to correct me on formatting.

I have just started taxidermy a couple months ago and was working on smaller animals until one of my donators just dropped off a full body pony she is 4 ft long and with legs folded she is 2 ft wide...I mean i couldnt say no and she was free to me to keep as a personal mount, she sat all night in a truck bed at -28 C Then another night at -15 C (In manitoba cold snaps) and the body when retrieved From owner was almost completely cooled off and frozen just her head and neck was slightly movable with extreme force. I have her in my freezer not wrapped for about a week since the death date. I want to take her back out and wrap her in shrink wrap to prevent freezer burn is. I do wanna keep here body to death cast but if she needs to be skinned i can always keep the hide and body frozen for later date just too cold to properly thaw her right now is my only problem.

first question (If you are answering feel free to put the number assigned beside the answer in case you can only answer one or two)

1. heard i can syringe water or windexinto her areas like lips ears and feet to prevent freezer burn. Is that true and does anybody use this technique?

2. Is it good to just leave her shrink wrapped in my freezer skin on the body for the far future when I decide to workon her comfortably? When is it too long to stay frozen i know some people leave animals frozen for years and years butdoes it mean the hide is still good quality?

3. She also released all that was in her bladder all over herself should I washher off then shrink wrap and freeze would the cold water harm the hide ifnot dried off and just put back to be frozen?

4. If she needs to be skinned asap what cuts do you suggest she is at full winter coat that is a inch thick so i was debating dorsal with release cuts but could always do ventral

I have been scavenging the forums but not much pony posts on here Lol and i have no clue is deer is close to pony hide so Any info helps! Even if you can only answer one or two of these questions

i Finally Got my dream mount....just a little too fast For my Newbie skill level and i would love to just keep her stored until i become at least decent to skin her out and send her off to the tanneries in the best condition for them, I can’t buy stop rot out here in manitoba so if anybody has any Canadian alternative. Or if my fellow canadians do order glens stop rot around here where can i get some? Really don’t wanna result to buying stop slip if need be. I understand this is very beginner stuff but This is the only mount i really want to turn out the best even if i commision her to a pro or i do her for the future!

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Treat it like any other mammal mount , if it was me , I would skin it ASAP using a cut that is hidden as to the way your mounting it . If laying down it would be more to the side it’s laying on and not the belly kinda thing , then I would put hide in a very cold place for just a bit , I would now wire and prop the carcass to the position I’m mounting it and get it back in freezer to set up for carcass casting. I would at that time get hide fleshed and in the tanning process or shipped out to tannery . This would all take place ASAP . I would not worry to much about the pee , as the tanning process will take that out for the most part . I would not leave in freezer long enough to get freezer burnt so that’s not and issue per say . If it died and was froze ASAP then stop rot is not needed as it should be fresh . Hope that helps . Ya

Swan_song_taxidermy likes this.

3. drob

drob Active Member

Well you certainly have your hands full!Thats a big job for even experienced taxidermists.I would make sure I had a big block of time that I could set aside to tackle the skinning and take my time.Dorsal or ventral its going to be rough going,but you can "feel" your way through it.The only advice I would give is that you freeze it correctly or get it off to a tannery after skinning,and don't even think about mounting it until you have researched and gathered the skills nessesary for such a big job.If you dive in before you are ready you will always regret it!

4. Swan_song_taxidermy

okay thank you! I would skin her out but the weather wouldnt thaw her (its -12 C) i am having her as a carousel mount as a art piece For the very far future so she be in a mid running position I think dorsal may work since i got tack to place on her after she is mounted but ventral with release cuts down by the feet was another option as sell Do you think a week or two would hurt her in the freezer Unwrapped or wrapped? Since apparently its warming up and i can skin her outside with my other taxidermist partner (we coe run our business) But are both veeeery unskilled beginners. I was gonna drop her off to be done at a local taxidermist for the skinning part but they are booked for a couple months.

5. Swan_song_taxidermy

For sure i was def planning on doing her in the many many years to come i skin quite frequently (used to skin for my uncle) but I had my first scare with slip on foxes and i want to make sure the tanneries have the best condition skin when she is skinned the only problem is that its too cold to thaw right now and she is unprotected in the freezer. At least so i can get her to a dry tan and save her for a rainy day lol

drob likes this.
  6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I believe it would be fine in freezer for a few weeks but , it’s going to take awhile to thaw out . If you don’t have the place to let it thaw , not sure how your going to do it or why outside , long time thawing in lower temps of 40-50s isn’t good and things won’t burn but will dry out . If you can’t get to it soon , I would wrap it better for protection of ears and such . I have baby pools I put thing like that in and thaw inside my shop at 65degrees

7. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

If you are going to mount as a carousel horse, don't mess with a dorsal cut. Do a ventral and cut up each leg. You are a beginner, and fleshing is easier with a ventral cut. A ventral cut will also be easier when it comes time to test fit the skin to the form.

3bears and Swan_song_taxidermy like this.
  8. Swan_song_taxidermy

Thank you for the help and nice ya i am getting a shed Shop when winter is over But for now i have the unheated garage its currently 6.8 F so i dont she would thaw fast so i can wrap her then until winter is over. And thaw her properly she is getting wrapped up tmr and one person suggested on a different forum to inject water into her ears to keep them hydrate. And the kiddy pool is a great idea Since she isnt the cleanest right now lol

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  9. Swan_song_taxidermy

Okay perfect! Thank you i have decided to do a ventral From chest to vent with release cuts near the ankles. I have done goats and cows with that cut so i should be able to do it with minimal cuts fingers crossed she is very thick fur like the full winter coat so thats good for hiding.