1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lip Splitting Tool

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by yosteve, Feb 22, 2021.

1. yosteve

yosteve New Member

IN
    where can i buy the razor blade lip splitting tool

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Use disposable scalpel blades. A #22 is a very versatile blade. You can buy both the blades and the handles from McKenzie Taxidermy Supply.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I buy and use single edge razor blades you can buy at any hardware or paint store 100 to a pack

JL, byrdman, socalmountainman and 4 others like this.
  4. yosteve

yosteve New Member

IN
    thanks that is what i have always used just looking and wanting to try the razor blade and holder just can not find it

msestak likes this.
  5. Jeff70

Jeff70 New Member

Matuska has one.

pir^2h and msestak like this.
  6. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I used single edge razor blades since day one. Too many gimmicks out there now. “Anybody out there have a paint schedule for a Gray Fox nose” !

D.Price, socalmountainman and msestak like this.
  7. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

grab a bunch of cheap toothbrushes from the dollar store, heat the handle and insert a razor blade.
    now you have a blade and a handle for less than a dollar. HEY...inmates do this and use it as a very effective weapon.

8. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are referring to the helping hands fleshing tool. You can find it at Matuska or from Helping Hands. I love mine and use it for everything from splitting to final detail thinning around eyes, nose and lips. It uses carpet blades so you get more cutting edges than using a regular straight razor blade and the angle at which it holds the blade is more comfortable than just holding a blade to me. Just my preference, but I would definitely recommend it. Its one of my favorite and most used tools. Don't buy the replacement blades from the supply company, just get a box of carpet blades from Amazon to save a lot of money.

msestak and Blharvey43 like this.
  9. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Joey I thought a southern lip splitting tool was called a fist?

joeym and msestak like this.
  10. yosteve

yosteve New Member

IN

11. yosteve

yosteve New Member

IN
    Thank you so much Jeff70 & ARUsher you hit it on the nose .Went to Matuska Taxidermy and found the helping hand fleshing tool and have two on order. thanks to all for your help

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    msestak likes this.
  12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Guys, they have come out with a fantastic tool that eliminates jury rigging. It's called a SCALPEL and you can buy disposable replacement blades.

rogerswildlife, drob, joeym and 4 others like this.
  13. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

for everthing from mice to moose thats all I use.... have knives and scalpels rusting in the drawer....oh except small wood chisel for around antlers(#G Roofe)

George and msestak like this.
  14. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

George, Walker told me you can tell a real taxidermist because they use a knife.

tem, msestak and JL like this.
  15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Ken knows I wasn't one. I never learned to use a straight needle like he does. I was able to take the screwdriver that he was adjusting hide with and give him a Taxi-Tuk tool.

Dave York and msestak like this.