1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Full Bobcat Mount Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Whitelightnin, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin Active Member

Hey guys Im about to attempt my first full bobcat mount. The question I have is I have the whole hide nice and thin except the back of neck and shoulder area. I originally thought I thinned it down pretty well but afterwards I noticed it could thin some more. Since I already used the Mckenzie brush on tan on the hide can I shave some more off or should I leave it be and hope for the best? Also the pads on the feet. I removed some small amounts of the flesh from them but there are still a bit left. Can I inject with balmex and keep them stable or should I try to remove every bit of it and fill with clay during mounting? This is my first full body mount so dealing with the pads and feet are new to me. I skinned down to the last joint and snipped the bone and removed the tissue around and between the toes. Just not completely sure about the pads. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Answer, yes you can thin all you want after the tan. Anyplace!

3. Whitelightnin

Thank you sir!

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

No on Balmex. Remove it all and clay them in.

Wildthings likes this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The reason why, is because your tan will have penetrated completely though. It is just as much tanned on the surface as it is in the middle as it is on the surface of the hair side. It's all just tanned skin.

6. Whitelightnin

Thanks Tanglewood!

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  7. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

dremel the pads

8. Whitelightnin

Sounds a lot easier than scalpel work! What head do you use on your dremel for that?

9. Whitelightnin

Hey guys when I shopped around for my form the only one I found close was spot on for nose to eye measurement but was an inch short in length. Is that extra inch of skin going to be noticeable in the finished mount or not enough to notice?