1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Changing Out Dakota Bird Flesher Wheel

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Kate Lacour, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

EC962434-B855-4EB6-BE74-A8DB13D12F7A.jpeg 110E53E5-B37E-421C-8D41-8078905F1BDF.jpeg I’m loving my new Dakota heavy duty bird flesher but am struggling to change the wheel!

Looks like this nut just needs to come off but it won’t budge. I’ve used WD40 and a socket wrench plus all my elbow grease. Is there perhaps a trick I am missing? Or do I just need to double down again?

The thing didn’t come with a manual of course and I can’t find one online. Thank you!

pir^2h likes this.
  2. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

You are probably turning the nut in the wrong direction. Like a toilet lever you need to turn it right to loosen and left to tighten. Hope this helps

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Left hand thread! If I ever decide to get one of these I will remember that (I hope!).

Kate Lacour likes this.
  4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

When they were made in America, the shafts were stamped with an "L' on the end for Left. Today, they don't mark left-hand anymore. I here they have a problem pronouncing "L's" sounding like "R's" so...........

ARUsher and pir^2h like this.
  5. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

Thanks for the lead, Rightie Loosey is a new one for me. Turns out before even hitting the nut with the socket the whole little shaft assembly has to be removed from the machine using a small alan wrench on these 2 holes. Which I do wish had been included in the box along with some, you know, instructions.

Live and learn. now to ice my busted wrists...

Attached Files:

pir^2h likes this.
  6. I bet that joker was as tight as anyone could get it if you hammered it lol.
    I was gonna say left hand thread until I read the reply above. Easy mistake an th one could make.

pir^2h likes this.