1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Eye Finish Wrk W/apoxie Sculpt

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Branden, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Branden

Branden Member

I use krowtann I have a batch of deer I finished two weeks ago .. did the finish wrk 10 days after mounting .. with the cold snap all the apoxie cracks around the eyes.. is there something else to use that will give more I’m guessing or what am I doing wrong

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Apoxie clay from same company Aves order directly

3. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I don't think 10 days is long enough to dry mount before doing finish work.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm not sure where you are but I won't even think of doing the finish work on deer until the inner ear skin is completely dry and that takes at least 2 full weeks in my temp controlled shop.

George and livbucks like this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

As I don’t disagree with you all on finishing to early as I to wait 2-3 weeks before doing so , I don’t feel that would make the apoxie crack

George likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I'm interested in the Apoxie Clay. Is is a two part product? Does it have some elasticity... if the skin dries away from it, will it move with the skin? Does it dry hard, or stay soft with time? I generally wait 2-3 weeks before finishing, but occasionally have the same trouble with the Apoxie Sculpt lifting away from the skin, particularly in the tear duct area and the front corner of the eye.

7. Branden

Branden Member

That’s exactly where the problems are.. I’ve only Ben doing this a few years .. I’m sure the cold snap had something to do with it I’m as far south as u can go in Louisiana and we don’t usually get temps that cold .. I thought I read somewhere that people only use one part of the apoxie sculpt not sure if the A or B

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Joey, apoxie clay isn't much different than scuplt but it isn't smooth and shiny like sculpt, once dry. I doubt that it's the apoxie lifting from the skin rather the skin drying and shrinking away. Here's a question, what do you use to smooth out your sculpt? If you are using water that is likely your reason it is somewhat rehydrating the skin around the area and then when it dries back out it shrinks. I use rubbing alcohol and have never had this issue.

9. Branden

Branden Member

I use water maby that’s what happen to me it’s just never happened before I’m guessing the mounts weren’t completely dry as my shop temp drop to freezing temps a few nights.. really appreciate the feed back everyone

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Use Apoxie Solvent. It blows away water and alcohol by a mile.

Doubled-d65 likes this.
  11. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

The epoxy is cracking because your deer isn’t dry. The slight movement of drying skin is what is causing the cracking. Wait longer to do your finish work, in cold weather ALOT longer.

Branden likes this.
  12. Branden

Branden Member

That’s what I was thinking I haven’t had weather that cold here since I’ve started mounting

13. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

I stick my fingers into the ear canal and push against it, towards the earbutts. That being the area that would take the longest to dry, gives me an idea of how dry the deer is overall. It’s worked for me so far, but also when in doubt, error on the side of caution and give it more time. Good luck!

3bears likes this.
  14. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    I set my eyes in apoxie sculp. Skin stays right where I put it.

tem likes this.
  15. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i do like 15pt does. but i wont mount it till the next day. sculp has had plenty of time to dry.

16. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I use Safety Solvent, not water, when smoothing Apoxie Sculpt.

17. verne

verne Well-Known Member

How big of a gap did you have around the eyes .

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I typed Apoxie Solvent, I thought that doesn't sound right. SO in post ten I should have said Safety Solvent.

joeym likes this.
  19. Branden

Branden Member

Wasn’t a big gap could just see a crack in apoxie wrk

20. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

Just curious- does anyone here use the wax around eyes? The old timer that taught me uses it, so I have also on the few deer I have done. Smooth with thinner.