1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artifical Bird Heads

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by pir^2h, Feb 24, 2021.

1. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

Your right , there are a few ducks that you can skin all the way to the bill and use it .. Hoodies being one of them ..
    As far as Fakes heads go , Way back when I first started using fake heads you would have a few that needed work but these days I can't say that the ones I use from Lone Star need sanding or modification of any kind , they're good quality heads .. Like the ones Matuska Taxidermy ( sells very detailed high quality but cost a lot ) .. I get your point , and really it boils down to personal preference , as I'm sure if all you've ever used are the real skull I'm sure you are fairly good at doing them and likely have it down to where it takes you no time at all ... Personally I hate sewing the neck incision so I was happy to start using the cast artificals ..but like I say whatever floats your boat ... Your gonna be hard pressed to tell a fake from a real one done by an experienced taxidermist ...

Wildthings likes this.
  2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Apparently you haven't had a Ted's head in your hands. He uses a lightweight inner fill medium that produces a very light weight head that you can also stick pins into

3. GotHonks

Hey Wild things , never heard of Teds heads , did a search and found no web site or anything ... Like to check them out if you could point me in the right direction that would be great .. Thanks

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Many of us haven't, last I heard he wasn't taking new customers.

5. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

6. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Avian Arts heads are also lightweight. Not as light as Ted's but excellent heads.

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Yeah he's trying to be more retired!!

8. Bryan

Bryan Member

The only benefit is less sewing and overspray which is no big deal. I had a phase and used artificial heads. I found them to be full of defects. Air bubbles, wrinkles and everything else real heads are being knocked for. I do know it was brand specific, I did have the luxury of physically going to a supply House and going through them to find the best of one specific brand which still needed work. Mounts I have done with artificial heads stick out and look fake from a distance. Not going back to them.

byrdman likes this.
  9. GotHonks

Is like to see one of those Teds heads , anyone have one they can post a pic of ?
    As far as using fakes over originals ... I see your point about some of the artificials being blems , and I've had some real junk as artificial heads a few times .. Find a company that makes high quality heads at a good price ( Lone Star Taxidermy ) they're quality is awesome and really reasonable compared to other quality brands .. Or just use the real one it's personal preference ... I have a few Cacklers to mount and I'll be using the real heads , I treat them just like a fake head ... No neck incision to sew up ... Just pull skin over head and glue like the fake ...

10. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I use Ted's. So any one of my mounts I post you can see em

GotHonks, retriever5 and pir^2h like this.
  11. GotHonks

Thanks Brooke , I meant see what's so great about them before they're on the bird ... If you don't mind what's the cost on Ted's Heads .... Sometimes the great stuff is so great and expensive I won't pay the kinda prices they want no matter how great ... I won't pay more than 12.00 a head ..