1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finally Got It

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Paskullls, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Paskullls

Paskullls New Member

C6E3C364-AB06-45E9-85AD-BB184ADF2D29.jpeg 21DE719D-1F71-415C-B3FB-2A639147FB64.jpeg after so much research, and so many try I finally got it right
    I did try a few aquarium heater but I couldn’t get the perfect temperature
    This pail heater works for me
    Is -20C outside, the pail is insulated, no heated garage

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Tnrandy and pir^2h like this.
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have looked at those and prices have come down quite a bit since I looked at them years ago. Can you share what brand or source you got yours from? Yours looks different than the wrap around blanket type heaters I have seen.

pir^2h and Paskullls like this.

3. Paskullls

Paskullls New Member

FD208164-C9F5-403F-AF10-832CF72E5CCA.png
    I ordered on amazon
    This is the one I got

Graybeard's Beetles and pir^2h like this.
  4. Great Skulls

Great Skulls Active Member

That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

pir^2h and Paskullls like this.
  5. Paskullls

Paskullls New Member

Has been one week today since I put the skull on the heated pail
    Temperature holding steady at 115F
    Most of the meat from the top of the skull is gone
    still quite a bit from the bottom
    How long usually take to get it Completely clean

6. Sea Wolf

How well did you clean the skull of flesh before you dropped it in? Did you remove the eyes, tongue, brains and all the big chunks of flesh around the cheeks and underneath? The more you remove, the faster it goes. It might also be possible that there are cooler spots in the bucket. If you left a lot of flesh on it, the most it should take is two weeks. At the halfway point (now), drain off about half to 3/4 of the water. Stir it up so you pour off some of the gunk sitting on the bottom. Refill with warm water and put the head back in. Make sure it is submerged and not floating on the top. The less you poke at it and keep checking the faster it will get cleaned. During this time, do not take it out and rinse it off. If you do that, you really make the bacteria on the surface start all over again.

7. Paskullls

Paskullls New Member

Thanks for the fast reply Sea Wolf
    I did clean most the meat, I did Not clean the brain, I think I left little to much meat under the skull
    And Yes I have been open it almost Every day, I have changed the full water, I guess I shouldn’t have done that
    Plus the weather is -20/25C I have the pail on the garage No heated garage

8. Sea Wolf

It might take a little longer then as the bacteria in the water has to start all over again. Next time, don't change all of it. Half or so so there is still bacteria left to keep working and make more bacteria.

As long as you wrap insulation, blankets, moving quilts .. something around the container to hold in the heat it should be good. Setting it on the foam insulation is good for the bottom too but wrap the sides and cover the top with something if you can. The more you hold the heat in the better. Wrap it up good and just walk away and leave it alone for the next 4 days and then go and check it.

Paskullls likes this.
  9. Paskullls

Paskullls New Member

Thank you very much for the help

10. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Does this system of maceration cause a lot of odor? I realize it is the best method for best results but I'm concerned about smell because of my neighborhood.... Joe

11. Paskullls

Paskullls New Member

I have it on my garage, with the proper lid, is not smell until you open it

socalmountainman likes this.
  12. Sea Wolf

It can smell pretty bad .. but .. there are ways to set things up so the odor is controlled or minimal until you open the containers. I have neighbors as well and they are clueless. There are posts on here showing what I have done to control odor on individual projects. Could easily be adapted. Posts on here as well where others have talked about the odor.

Joey made this and I'm impressed. The thought of going in there scares me though. :) https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/363702/#post-2445603

socalmountainman likes this.