1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Boiling Pot?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by skinner26, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

13 point likes this.
  2. Great Skulls

Great Skulls Active Member

Okay, here is the simple answer to your question: if you want to boil your skull, get whatever container is big enough. You can boil in just about anything - heck, I've seen water boil in a paper container!

However, as we have said, boiling a skull will almost never result in a product that will turn out well - especially over time.

There are several reasons for this. The main one is that there really is no fast way to get grease out of a skull and temperature can actually make things worse. Also, depending on how you do it, you might be boiling the proteins out of the bone (the same way that chefs make stock out of bones) and then the specimen is, by definition, more brittle and potentially flaky.

There ARE ways to simmer specimens, but that still leaves the grease problem. And it is too tricky. I would trust PA to simmer a skull, but I wouldn't do it myself!

To make a "museum quality" specimen, you either have to macerate or use beetles (for the record, both have strengths for specific priorities) and then properly degrease. Some whiten after that too - though many museums (and a few collectors) prefer not to.

If you do not want to create a museum quality specimen, that is fine! It probably takes more time and since time = money and y'all are mostly businessmen, who the heck are WE to tell you how to run your business?! However, many people on this forum think that it is "bad for the taxidermy industry" for fellow taxidermists to be content with poorly prepared skulls - just like it would be bad for taxidermists to produce goofy looking shoulder mounts.

That's where we're coming from! You do you! Boil your skulls. If your clients are happy, then WE are the idiots for wasting more time on specimens, right?

3. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

3bears and Rausch like this.