1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dispatching Trapped Animals For Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by byrdman, Feb 26, 2021.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Im finding with a bad knee that a walking staff is nice for running traplines, I cant carry a rifle plus a staff so would like to use a 22 pistol in a holster. Where is the best place to find a cheap used 22 auto as I prefer not clubbing.

2. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Gunbroker.com

ARUsher and socalmountainman like this.

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Right now cheap and firearms don’t really go hand in hand. Hell just try finding ammo!

George likes this.
  4. byrdman

have 2,000 rounds of 22 and 3 rifles so no ammo prob

5. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

When trapping was legal here in CA, I used a .22 revolver with the CB Shorts in the forehead. Popped liked a Daisy Red Ryder but very efficient. You could never load CB Shorts in a semi-auto.
    CC_26_22ShortCBLRNPestControl_Combo_R.jpg

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you carry a staff, figure out how to hollow the end and make it hold a syringe so that the contents is injected when you push on it. For taxidermy, many animals can be dispatched quickly and humanely with an injection of acetone. They make poles for doing this but you might be able to adapt your staff to do the same. Quick death and no bullet holes in the hide. Syringes are cheaper than bullets right now.

Clew likes this.
  7. cameron2

cameron2 Active Member

8. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

I hated "clubbing" and refused to do it. I started trapping at 12 and not aloud to have a "gun" legally until 16, and 18 for a hand gun.
    I would only make water sets so I was limited to location until I used a 22 air rifle and made a holster/scabbard on my pack basket to use my trappers stick for walking.
    The game "commotion" didn't like it, "can't hunt with an air gun it's a toy, son". Not hunting, trapping and dispatching my catch in a "human way" like the law said. POP! 1 more pelt for the fur shed.

9. byrdman

staff already has a hook on one end and ice chisel on other end... prefer quick bullet to spine between shoulders...no head shots and no exit hole

10. byrdman

that thing is a joke... omg... would rather carry small rifle

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

One gun shop here in the area has used guns for sale. Everything from show pieces to moldy, old beat up stuff. Might have to travel out of your area but maybe try calling any of the listed gun shops around and see if they carry used firearms. I buy from Gunbroker.com also but most of what shows up there is more expensive, harder to find things.

12. cameron2

cameron2 Active Member

Oh, sorry you had a bad experience with it. I use it every day on my trapline. IMG_6063.jpg

13. byrdman

ya its longer than my youth gun safety 22 rifle...and choking down an animal has to be brutal

13 point and pir^2h like this.
  14. cameron2

cameron2 Active Member

So have you ever used one? Not trying to pick a fight, just that I've never seen a tool where I could get a coyote to go down as fast or faster than a cat. I literally walk up and put it on an animal --any animal-- and cinch it down. Then I reach down, take off the trap and before I can get the trap back in the ground, the critter has long since expired. And mine is super light, and small. Just a preference I guess. No gunshot sounds to draw unwanted attention, no safety issue, and no mess/holes.

15. byrdman

a small hole and quik kill is better than rubbed neck and suffering...thats why I dont snare....so please drop it

16. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Most guys I know dispatch with a snare. It doesn't take much to kill a cat. Coyotes and foxes here are usually kept alive and sold for use in dog pens.

17. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Pawn shop? Youd be surprised. Many sell used guns.

tem and byrdman like this.