1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Weird Mallard Beak (hybrid?)

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Amateur Xavier, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Amateur Xavier

Amateur Xavier New Member

Hello all!

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Admittedly I did not search the forums in case this has happened to anyone else, so I'm sorry if this has been asked by someone else!

I'm relatively new to Mallard taxi (Only done a handful), but someone dropped off a really large Mallard with these weird indents and coloring on the end of the beak. Breast feathers also had spotting in them (perhaps just from still molting, but could be sign of hybridization). I recognize yellow isn't a strange color on a Mallard beak, but for how distinct it is I thought I'd check. What do you think caused these malformations? The bird was given to me frozen, so perhaps it got freezer damaged?

I'm only curious if its a natural malformation because if so, I think it'd be unique to put back onto the bird, otherwise I'll use an artificial head.

Thanks for the help!

Amateur Xavier

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I believe it is just caused by being frozen and the lost of color due to death. I would paint it normally. Unless they had pictures showing differently. It can always be painted different later if need be. I had a client insist that his woodduck drake eyes were yellow. He was looking at the frozen bird. I did insist to use the normally colored red ones. He was glad I did

GotHonks and byrdman like this.

3. Amateur Xavier

Amateur Xavier New Member

Thanks for your answer! I figured that it was just due to freezing but wanted a second opinion! Thanks again!
    Ya, a yellow eyed Wood Duck would be quite an unusual thing, always funny when clients don't believe us eh!

4. AubreyW

AubreyW Active Member

Yep just bill discoloration for being frozen.

On a side note, I have killed 1 wood duck with yellow eyes. Lol but yeah that's usually freezer issues too

Wildthings likes this.