1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Going At It With Mckenzie

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Mudbat, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Top is the price paid and then shipping. I ship fed ex. I deal with fed ex and ups every day at my regular and also have I ability to type in the numbers on our work account to see what shipping will cost. I even used box dimensions that I know damn well are bigger then the boxes I’ll receive and still can’t get close to 141. Ive also never had them charge me for separate shipping from two places if they don’t have it in stock. Told them the only at to reach those numbers if you are not pass to g along you bulk shipping discount which is 40+ from fed ex.
    02FC8192-8F4C-4614-8FD8-454AD7010934.jpeg

msestak likes this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Guess I’m having a Brain fart as I’m not exactly following, I get the the top is the materials you ordered and bottom is shipping, it’s the rest I’m not under standing, please explain again for my dumb azz , lol thanks

msestak and D.Price like this.

3. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Same, please repeat the complaint. You may have "the ability to type in the numbers"....but the rest of your typing is lacking.

DP

msestak likes this.
  4. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

McKenzie-Ripped-Me-Off-On-Shipping stories are kinda like a$$holes ... everybodies got one

Thats why my forms come from Research. I only buy mckenzie when I have no other choice

msestak, pir^2h, drob and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

One of the boxes solely has a 31x15x12 wall habitat.
    They are trying to claim it costs 74 to ship.
    Mckenzie from all my experience Doesnt ship in boxes that offer a lot of extra room. At my regular job we ship fed ex and ups. We get a 30-40% discount on shipping with our not insanely high volume. Mckenzie due to volume would get even more.
    let’s say this package arrives in a 34x18x15 box. At my work volume discount from NC to my door the cost is 31.04. For a regular person just dropping it off it’s 58 dollars. The shipping on this costs more then the product. So when I get the package I will measure it like I told them and run it through our fed ex account. If it shows they are making a 40+ dollar profit on it well yes, I’ve got a big problem with that.
    141 for two flat wall habitats and so paints is nuts. Always have never had them bill for shipping deprecate when they have to send from two separate warehouses. They have always billed for just the one.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    msestak likes this.
  6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Research Mannikins follows the same guidelines for UPS and FedEx. It's not up to them.
    Mudbat, you did not explain what it was you are receiving from them. I use all supplliers because I have favorites. I like HQ because they have my Page Nethercutt waterfowl heads and bodies. I use McKenzie because they have my Polytranspar Lacquers and habitat. I use Trufitt for the Bill Leach trout bodies and heads and Research for all my Frazier Wild Boar, Blacktail and Elk forms. I don't have time to figure out who has the best shipping. I run a full-time business and make sure to figure shipping costs into my overhead at the end of every year. If I add one bottle of Polytranspar Lacquer - tack on $52.50 for Hazardous Waste. If the box is oversize by "dimensional weight", add $102.50. That's it! No one is exempt. Even Research has to abide. I have never been charged extra freight when McKenzie delivers from 3 different warehouses and most of the freight charges are within reason and I'm way out in CA! Now, everyone take a breath and get back to work (lol)!
    4.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 5.jpg

msestak and Mudbat like this.
  7. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

A 31x15x12 rock wall habitat. That’s it. 74 bucks

msestak likes this.
  8. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Total order was
    1- 31x15x12 habitat
    1-36x 17x5 habitat
    6 4 oz bottles of paint.
    Shipped in two boxes as one habitat they didn’t have in Wisconsin they had it in NC. Which they have also picked up the difference until now.
    I just shipped a 36x18x16 box to Wisconsin for 34 dollars fed ex.

msestak likes this.
  9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Like many others on here have said, "I only buy from them when I have to because it isn't available elsewhere," which isn't often these days.

msestak likes this.
  10. pir^2h

When you order ask if it is in the same warehouse! I do, and it is in multiple warehouses I don't order it.

msestak likes this.
  11. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

They have always covered the cost no problem for me when they have had it in two seperate places. Still 74 dollar shipping on a 31x15x12 piece is pure make believe.

msestak likes this.
  12. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Here’s a box I have to send back to them on a blank that isn’t going to work. they charged me 42.30 to ship.
    They get a even a greater volume discount then we do at my regular job ,where I pulled these numbers from.
    They are actually up charging more then if you just went to fed ex bought a label and got no discount. This package only costs me 27 to send.
    Numbers are at the bottom fed ex ground
    288DA339-600D-4C3E-8E52-0182BFD4279D.jpeg

msestak likes this.
  13. socalmountainman

If you feel they are ripping you off then, by all means, you should stop using them.
    For some of us, in my opinion, we don't think they are.
    1.jpg 2.jpg

msestak and D.Price like this.
  14. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

It’s not a feel issue. It’s actual proof that they are not only not passing along their volume discount like most everyone does, but they are marking up above the regular published shipping rate. One of my boxes came that cost 74 dollars. Box is 29x20x17. I just shipped out a fish today in a 30x22x15 box for 27.61.both shipped fed ex ground. I use mckenzie a lot first real “what the hell” shipping issue I’ve ever had with them. There’s a difference in making a few extra bucks and over charging 40+ dollars. And that extra sure as hell wasnt to cover packing materials!
    C76360F7-4844-44B4-9E58-1F99B3FD8055.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    msestak and drob like this.
  15. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Here’s one that they charged me 74 dollars in shipping on.
    Would cost me 38 to ship with my fed ex discount( again they get a even greater discount) and if you don’t have a fed ex account it would cost 50 to ship. 141 is the total they charged me. So between the two they took me for about 70 extra dollars.
    Actual proof that on some( not all by any means) they are ripping people off.
    Shipping costs are on the right side
    20A93E08-35FB-4CC3-A364-97198424EA31.jpeg

msestak likes this.
  16. pir^2h

We can bitch all we want but McKenzie is so big they don't care if they lose a customer or two over shipping. The only way to get their real attention is a huge boycott which probably isn't going to happen. Being a hobbyist I don't have anyone to pass off the shipping cost to. Did you read a previous thread where Joe (socalmountainman) described how he handles shipping? He has a very good business model to deal with shipping. Maybe Joe can post the link for us. I don't remember exactly where it was.

msestak and Mudbat like this.
  17. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

P
    problem is mckenzie doesn’t tell what the shipping will be. I added extra to what I charged on this habitat to the customer on the total. To cover what I thought was a very good idea of what would be charged to ship. 74 dollars goes above that.

msestak and ARUsher like this.
  18. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Where does it say they have to pass on their shipping discount? If you order $1K and get the 12% discount from them do you pass that on to your clients? I don't!

DP

19. socalmountainman

I have spoken on this subject many times and, like pricing your taxidermy, it falls on deaf ears. Some will do it and see the light - others will keep on complaining on getting ripped off. Anyone that is interested on how to make your clients pay for your shipping can PM me. I would gladly share with you how I do it.

3bears, msestak and pir^2h like this.
  20. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Its
    It doesn’t. In this case they even marked the cost of shipping up over 20dollars on the published non discount rate.
    On this particular shipment in being over charged around 75 bucks. That’s noticeable!

msestak likes this.