1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Going At It With Mckenzie

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Mudbat, Mar 2, 2021.

1. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Why can’t you just explain it here , I charge enough to cover my cost , but I go to them and pk up . Unless you add to each ticket after the fact you to are paying any up charges after the fact . If you put a percentage on your cost at the beginning of the year to cover your shipping and then half way thru the year shipping goes up in cost , it still cost you , no matter how you break it down, you lose that money. If you add 5% to your ticket for shipping at the beginning of the year and shipping is really only 3% well your profiting 2% of that fee , now 6 months into the year the company started charging more and your shipping is now maxed out at that 5% that you did allow, you just lost 2% profit , no matter how you cut it . I’m not saying it hurt you , as you allowed for it but it still took mono from you that you did have as a cushion. The following year you allow 6% and shipping stays at that 6% then you fine you neither made or lost .

msestak likes this.
  2. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

There is nothing illegal about that, when you consider the cost of boxes, tape, packing material, labor and you also have behind the scenes fees that these shipping companies charge that don't show up on your computer screen they have the right to charge for it and you have the right to not trade with them.

I'm not taking sides, just explaining that what they charge is their prerogative and if you don't like it just simply move on to another supplier. I'm fairly confident that all your post here are not going to change their minds.

They do/done things I don't agree with as well, but I learned several years ago on here that folks really don't give a damn. After being banned from this site for 2 1/2 years for my post and only by some good words from Bill Yox and Chad Davis to Ken Edwards was I allowed back on. So, carry on if you wish, but it is most likely falling on deaf ears.

DP

ANDY and msestak like this.

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Yeah the cost of packing materials on this was insane.
    I buy boxes and also have very thick double corrugated boxes custom built for some orders. A box of the size and dimensions and quality costs about 4 dollars. They spared no expense in bubble wrap!hahaha
    8A84CB7B-13D5-46FA-84B1-2239FDA3A22E.jpeg

pir^2h and msestak like this.
  4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

he has a point. if it cost him 27.00 to ship it back, it shouldnt have cost him 2 or 3 times that to get to him ! its the same distance.

5. D.Price

...and shipping supplies and labor/handling has already been covered! You are lucky there is not a restocking fee on top of that, like some companies do.

Again, I'm not trying to argue or take sides, just stating my opinion.

My gripe years ago, as I said when I was sent to banned camp, that when companies get too big they care less about the the little guys and we just get shit on because it is all about the all mighty dollar. The days of the "Mom and Pop" shops are all but gone.

If you have been to my websites you have probably seen that I sell a few of the same items the big suppliers sell. Overall mine are a touch more expensive, but that is how it has to be for me to make a profit. I depend on the fact that my knowledge of my products will get you to purchase from me instead of the big box stores. Most people these days look for cheap and convenience and that is what is killing the America that I grew up in. I have folks all the time who buy from another company the products I sell call me asking for customer support or advice on a problem they are having. The kicker is, the company they bought it from told them to call me, most likely because they couldn't answer the questions.

Bottom line is, life's a bitch, suck it up buttercup, learn from your experiences and move on!

DP

socalmountainman and msestak like this.
  6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

The fact is McKenzie is too big to care about people complaining about shipping cost. One day it may come back to bite them but until then, pay it or go elsewhere. Also remember that since probably 99% of their business involves shipping they really just should build the cost of the labor involved in stocking the items, picking and packing as well as packing material, not add it to the shipping cost where it is noticeable and have your customers made at you. How many of you list shipping charges separately on your invoice for your customer? If you did they would probably have a royal fit. You bury in the cost of shipping into the mount.

The people of McKenzie are probably laughing their asses off over these threads complaining about shipping charges. As D. Price has said, you have the right not to buy from them. Most anything they have to offer you can get elsewhere.

msestak likes this.
  7. msestak

they became a monopoly when they bought everyone. pay their prices or look at the other small supplier for what you need.

hey maybe they're violating some kind of law when they became a monopoly and started charge those over priced shipping fees...maybe...maybe not

8. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Shipping costs ....

Back when I was breeding and selling snakes I would advertise them for a certain price and then add on shipping & handling. I used FEDEX Overnight for shipping (ain't cheap). Now the buyer knows how much shipping was after they receive it. Instead of selling a baby snake for $500 PLUS Overnight shipping ($50-$60) and then argue about the cost of shipping .... I would just sell the snake for $560 with FREE SHIPPING and no problem. For me as a seller I had to get the box, cut 1 inch styrofoam to fit the box and either buy an ice pack or heat pack depending upon the time of the year, spend time building the box and then driving to the FEDEX hub and ship it. So..... I always said shipping & HANDLING. Or..... just raise the sale price to consume the shipping costs. And then consider that I produced and sold thousands of baby snakes. Time = $$.

Either say plus shipping & HANDLING

OR

absorb it into the price of Cost Of Goods Sold (COGS)

:)

Kerby...

Keith, ANDY, msestak and 2 others like this.
  9. gobbler71

gobbler71 Member

Im looking around my shop to see if anything came from Mckenzie...........nope! I quit them a long time ago. You also have the option.

msestak, drob and pir^2h like this.
  10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I do include the cost of shipping into the price ( Atleast what I thought shipping would cost) along with a mark up. Unfortunately with both these 64 dollars items cost 141 magically to ship. Ive actually lost money on them. each of these items were in a single bubble wrap sleeve with zero other packing material inside very cheap flimsy boxes so please don’t talk about the cost of packing materials in this case. There’s is maybe 6 dollars of material involved here. I do a lot of shipping and receiving work/ordering supplies such as bubble wrap, boxes etc at my regular and also ship most mounts I do. I have a extremely good idea what things cost.

unfortuantly there are certain products only mckenzie has. Ive never had anything but good experience with them in the past, and order from them regularly. This is my first “ what the hell” experience with them. I have never liked that they don’t disclose what the shipping charge is till your item has left for delivery.

msestak likes this.
  11. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Not really trying to defend them but they don't really know what the shipping is until they have it all boxed up, measured and weighed and then shipped by zone. The order takers don't usually have a clue of any of these things. Then to have to return every phone call to say, "You shipping will be..." Just saying!

msestak likes this.
  12. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get into some great debate, but I just talked to another taxi who had the same wildly unacceptable shipping cost experience. His account is marked for lowest shipping only. In his experience it isn't a shipping hike, it's multiple exponents of former costs.

While everyone's got one, in no time we'll all be calling the one we got a McKenzie if we keep quiet and give them business. Thank God for Matuska.

pir^2h, drob and msestak like this.
  13. D.Price

Mudbat, here is you a chance to save 22% on whitetail forms and pass it on to your customers.

DP
    [​IMG]

socalmountainman and msestak like this.
  14. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I only do fish. But I can see why you ended up getting booted.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  15. D.Price

Does that mean we are not friends?

DP

msestak likes this.
  16. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Fact that you get online as a grown as man to try and stir the pot by making douchy comments says a lot about you. Ya know, more the mentality I’d think of out of say a middle school girl.
    Get a life bud.

17. D.Price

Nope, we can't be friends!

DP

msestak likes this.
  18. D.Price

Mudbat, here is a thread I started over 4 years ago, before you were even a member here. Take a look at it, you will see many of the same names posting then that are now posting in your thread. This is nothing new. If you go back and read some of my older threads as well as this one, you will see that I warned of this very issue and no one even cared. So much so, to the extent that I was banned. No one cared that Big Mac was becoming a monopoly!

READ POST #8 CAREFULLY!

DP
    https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/408140/

msestak likes this.
  19. msestak

thats what i said. when they became a monopoly and did what they are doing with pricing and "shipping".
    could they be violating some law ??

20. D.Price

Have no clue nor the money to take em on in court! To big to fail!

DP

msestak likes this.