1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Going At It With Mckenzie

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Mudbat, Mar 2, 2021.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Please, a "Monopoly" ?, You're kidding right? We as taxidermists are such a small minority of the population that the guvment don't git 2 shits about us, that and they only go after companies that they themselves use.

Lance.G, Keith, msestak and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

H
    fed ex hazardous fee for ground shipments is 37 dollars.
    Also per fed ex( I’m sure ups as well) lacquer paints falls under orm-d or limited quantity. There is actually zero charge to them! Yes you are accepting a fee they do not pay! That’s off fed ex’s web page.
    472E37BD-5170-4869-A227-06F685E13DB2.jpeg
    You can also buy all sorts of lacquer paints for automotive both spray can and by the pint and half gallon online with free shipping. If that hazardous material cost was applied to them no shipper would just eat that cost.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    msestak likes this.

3. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I always suspected this becuase there have been several times when my lacq based paints where shipped in a box that they didnt even bother to put the material safety white square with 2 black corners sticker on it - It only matters if you are trying to ship air! I would say the vast majority of Big M (and all taxidermy purchases) go ground for sure

msestak likes this.
  4. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

SoCal
    All lacquer paint in this order. There is no fee
    3368A0A1-E4C9-412B-B5F7-CBDD8DF567B2.jpeg

5. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Shipping charges are minor in this world , thats business. Look at it this way,
    go pay $80,000 for a new truck , better than half of that is mark-up, but you
    bought it and drove it home.

6. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

How is that the same comparison?. I have a friend who works for a vehicle transport company. It’s not cheap. I know exactly what it costs to ship the items and it actually costs less then 50% of what I’m being charged.

msestak likes this.
  7. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Their in business to make money , they dont care about me ,you or anybody else.

D.Price likes this.
  8. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Then you up charge the product you produce not a make believe shipping charge. I’d imagine fed ex and ups would like to find out that they are making money and blaming them.

pir^2h and msestak like this.
  9. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

marking up shipping charges is a rip off, plain and simple.
    if a company didnt already figure in the handling, packaging, and overhead in their business and they have to artificially inflate the shipping charges...its a poor business practice.
    like others have said, two choices
    1. suck it up and just keep buying from the rip offs
    2. buy someplace else that has honest shipping

pir^2h, D.Price and drob like this.
  10. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

As I agree with all !!!

LET IT GO , PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS, ITS OLD AND GETTING OLDER. Thanks

D.Price and 3bears like this.
  11. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

its like a merry go round and round and round and round and round and.............

ANDY likes this.
  12. Like so ialmountainman said , its a business expence your not going beat it or avoid it so you either adapt or you will become extinct like the dinosaurs

socalmountainman likes this.
  13. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Mountainman is in California, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say the hazardous fee he is referring to is a Ca. tax. But, he still has to pay it or move to another state. Just like pay Big Mac's shipping charges or move to another vendor.

DP

14. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Yup! Good ol' Californicate, where they _-_-_k you up when you ain't looking.
    Listen guys, McKenzie isn't gonna change and some people will never learn. As for me, I don't pick and choose on freight fees, I order what I like and that means I order from all suppliers.
    If you don't like the taste of the food, don't eat it!
    Some of us have figured out ways to deal with fees and rising costs and some will forever bitch and moan. As for me, I'm done with even trying to respond to these posts, it's not worth the time. T
    Those of you that have PM'd me on shipping costs and pricing your work, I thank you for asking and wish you all the best. I am always available to help you when I can.
    The Southern California Mountainman

15. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Shipping is roughly $18 per deer mannikin on volume orders, regardless of the supply company. Build $25.00 into your pricing, and you'll be OK...it's your customers problem, not yours. I don't like it, but there isn't a thing I can do about it.

16. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    That's why I get what I can from Fosters. Good forms for these southern deer and 45 minutes away. Ordered a kudu and longhorn form from Second to nature and shipping was about $150.

msestak likes this.
  17. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

It’s cost me 36 dollars to ship each one of these habitats in the boxes they were sent to me. Mckenzie charged me 70.50 per box. Kinda hard to factor in that number.

msestak likes this.
  18. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

McKenzie really doesn't care what we think nor do they care that they are over charging on shipping because they are too big to care; and if you quit ordering from them there will be others who will pay it. The only solution is to buy elsewhere which is what I choose to do. The only other option is to order when you are attending a show they will be at and get free shipping to the show (I have done that also), at least for now it is free but that may even change in the future. Who knows?

Mudbat and msestak like this.
  19. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

On a side note, my last order from them was simply one bottle of Stop Rot. I needed it and bought without searching for a better source. The shipping was more than the bottle, $24.00. Can anyone care to share their go to site for Glen's Stop Rot? Shipping as well as cost per bottle? I'd rather not go through Macadoos again if there is a better option. The real shame is that the product didn't somehow stay under family ownership and all the profits went to his family.

msestak likes this.
  20. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I use either Jim Allred or Matuska for most of my supplies. Which one I order from depends on what else I am getting.