1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Beam

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by D265, Mar 3, 2021.

1. D265

D265 New Member

I'm wanting to build a fleshing beam and it seems like pvc is the way to go. I know what I want to build and I've watched a few videos but I don't know where to get the materials.

Where do you guys get huge diameter pvc pipe?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That depends on where you are located. I got some from a friend who installs sewer systems. So I imagine he gets it from anyplace the sells supplies for that. 1 10 foot chunk of 10 inch pipe can make several beams of varying sizes.

tem and George like this.

3. D265

D265 New Member

I'm in Phoenix. I called around to several plumbing supply places and the one that had some quoted me $300 for a 20ft length of schedule 40 10" pipe.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Ouch, I guess i was lucky. Is schedule 40 the black stuff? The piece I got is green.

5. D265

D265 New Member

Schedule 40 has to do with the thickness for how much pressure it can handle, it could be any color. I didn't ask because I'm not spending $300 on pvc

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Go to a large plumbing place that just sells plumbing supplies. They carry your needs or call around to some plumbers and see if they have scraps laying around for a cheaper price. The bitch here is nothing is cheap if you want quality. Just think it’s 1200-1500!for a fleshing machine.

D.Price and 3bears like this.
  7. D265

D265 New Member

I did, that's what I meant when I said I called plumbing supply places. I hear you on quality but I will not be going with pvc for that kind of money

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Your best for a cheap one that’ll work for yrs is wood. When I trapped I had one made from 2x10 shaped and sanded that lasted lots of yrs.

Vulpes Vulpes and drob like this.
  9. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I have 3 different fleshing beams in my shop. The large, gray fiberglass beam I purchased from Research Mannikins for $89. The wood support is not included but the bottom of the beam is designed to accept it. I built the support from 2X4's at the height for my comfort. It has seen hundreds of bears, elk hides and everything in between. The other two are from Badgerland Trapping Supply. I have a 4 foot model for capes that attaches to my bench and a floor model which is still wrapped up and never used yet. They both are designed to remove from their mounting plates for storage. Other than shipping costs, they are a great buy.
    https://www.badgerlandtrappingsupply.com/store/p4/WALL_MOUNTED_FLESHING_BEAM_MOUNT.html
    Fleshing beam 1.jpg Fleashing beam 2.jpg

drob and D.Price like this.
  10. D265

D265 New Member

How many guys on here spent $300 on pvc for their fleshing beams? I read a few articles on things like Outdoor life and they're talking about getting the whole thing done for as little as $35.

11. D265

D265 New Member

I stumbled upon some "desert antiquities" tonight running the dogs after work. I don't have a lot of experience working with fiberglass, do you think I could cut a piece from this for my beam(s)?

Attached Files:

12. tem

tem Well-Known Member

go to home depot, menards, or lows. they got pvc pipe.

13. D265

D265 New Member

6" is the largest diameter any of those carry in store

14. SaskFly

SaskFly New Member

Stopped at a subdivision build's and talked to the foreman......took a couple stops but got mine for the price of a 12 pack.

15. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Oh dear Lord, give me the patience. Just do it, damn!

DP

16. Just buy one from one of the taxidermy companies, its only a few dollars, with all the time and energy spent making one it isnt worth it, ive used pvc and didnt like it bec the hide would tend to slip off tbe beam with any pressure applied, ive found wood works the best

socalmountainman and D.Price like this.
  17. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Member

I have a wood fleshing beam and used a 4' long 6" for thinning when I used a skife knife for thinning. That 6" did the job well and actually helps when getting up by the face. But, bought a fleshing machine now and probably will not use the beams much anymore unless I start trapping again.