1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Mar 4, 2021.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

This is not a surprise or shock to me. I know the pratfalls and COSTS of making small orders. This is what happens if you make a SMALL order and instead of driving 130 miles (the distance between Dover, DE and Harrisburg, PA) you have UPS deliver to your door. Think before you order. Screenshot_20210304-083620_Email.jpg

2. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

So 260 miles round trip. Let’s say you get 20mpg so that’s 13 gallons of fuel. At $3 a gallon that’s $39 in fuel alone. It’s a 5 hour round trip without stops for food/bathroom and minimal time to pick up said order. $2.48/ 5 hours is almost $.50 an hour. Certainly your time is worth more than that therefore you came out ahead by not driving to pick up the order! I know you know this already George. I was just making a point.

3bears and George like this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Highway robbery. Pretty sure that UPS or Fed Ex would be cheaper. If they do not have multiple choices for shipping, they should start. Freight should be for large items like forms and the like. Smaller things can certainly be shipped a different way.

4. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I put in a 203 dollar order with them. One box from NC they charged me 74 dollars for in shipping fed ex ground . I ship a lot through my regular job, and have access to both a ups and fed ex account, so I have a very good idea what something should run to send. the box showed up yesterday and the dimensions are 29x20x17.
    I plugged them in the computer at work along with my address and the NC address and it would only cost me 38 dollars to ship it with our volume discount. 50 dollars if I was just to go to a fed ex store and get no discount. Discount is based on volume sent so a place like McKenzie is getting a even larger break. So on that package alone they profited 36 dollars off me. If it was only a few bucks I wouldn’t bat a eye. But to me that actually ripping people off.
    Also the box is super cheap quality and there is zero extra packaging!
    E622988B-FD2D-4A6E-B31E-17E29E21CA44.jpeg 37787FCB-8803-4A2E-BEE4-A65E62F477B4.jpeg

msestak likes this.
  5. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

It WAS UPS.
    And the Polytranspar "FP" paint is Lacquer so it has a "Hazardous Materials" fee attached to that freight charge and can not be shipped Parcel Post so it has to go UPS Ground.
    This was the most economical way for George to have these supplies shipped.

George and D.Price like this.
  6. drob

drob Active Member

George,I know you're smart-but how did you get out of paying sales tax?( sorry for changing subject!)

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

They now go by your states sales tax and is what they charge you , Delaware has No sales tax

8. BackTax

BackTax New Member

I thought it was just me. I just started trying to real modern taxidermy with purchased forms and materials and i bought a quail and squirrel kit from McKenzie. Cost me over $40 in shipping also. 2 boxes total weight of both boxes maybe 6 lbs. I was stunned on the shipping costs.
    I wanted to start doing stuff for friends to practice. They all want to pay for materials. But at these rates i am going to be charging them too much in my opinion for amateur work.

9. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

BackTax, where you at in Arizona?

:)

Kerby...

msestak likes this.
  10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I always said your customers pay the shipping so it's not worth bitching about. Then I retired and since I have no customers, I end up paying for it when I do a mount for myself and I now understand how the hobbyists feel and I feel like bitching about it too.

msestak, Whitelightnin, Mandi and 3 others like this.
  11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

There are some taxidermy supplies you can buy at Amazon. Free shipping. I recently bought Apoxie Sculpt and some other things that I was surprised to find on there.

msestak, Kerby Ross and drob like this.
  12. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

What else do they have taxidermy related ??? Was the Apoxie Sculpt more or less money than McK ?

13. They got you cause they're all owned by the same people Mckensie, vandykes, WASCO all the same. That's my biggest bitch also the freight. RIDICULOUS FOR SURE. Even Matuska isn't that bad being clear over in the west

pir^2h likes this.
  14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I honestly don't remember what else I got other than the Apoxie Sculpt. But if I remember correctly, It wasn't more than McKenzie and the shipping was free. There was probably 5 or so pages of "taxidermy supplies" though.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Delaware has no sales tax.

msestak and drob like this.
  16. BackTax

BackTax New Member

I am in Gilbert. Sorry on late reply. I am not on here much. At first only signed up to find a used fleshing machine. Don't have much luck on that either

Kerby Ross likes this.
  17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Drob, I can't answer for George but, if you contact McKenzie, you can file an exempt paper with them , as long as you are legit and your customers pay sales tax on your mounts.

drob likes this.
  18. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Contact D. Price at www.fleshingmachines.com for used equipment. He might have one available.

msestak likes this.
  19. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

GEORGE, They can't blame it on the size or the weight, so why 46.00 shipping. A deer form , a base and 4 rack forms. Shipping 25.00 what happened on your end George,
    SKU DESCRIPTION QUANTITY UNIT PRICE DISC. % NET PRICE
    6559 WT DEER/SSNK/STR/7.25 x 20 1 76.95 2.00 75.41
    ETB12 OCTAGON EARTH BASE ***SEE*** 1 44.45 2.00 43.56
    AMB-2 MOUNTING BLOCK/ANTLER/MED 4 12.80 2.00 50.18
    Order Totals
    Sales Amount: 169.15
    Misc.\COD Charges: 0.00 Thank you again for ordering from us!
    Sales Tax: 0.00 We appreciate your business.
    Freight: 25.52
    Total: 194.67 McKenzie Taxidermy Supply
    Amount Paid: 194.6

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  20. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

If you research your local stores and supply houses there is not much you cannot find locally save forms....eyes are best ordered from Europe.Wire foam epoxy paint tools etc etc can most all be found if you know where to look.I challenge anyone to tell me what they can’t.