1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Assembling A Full Body Deer Form That Has Be Cut?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by cstallard, Mar 9, 2021.

1. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I drill a couple of holes into each side of foam, then butter the 2 sides with mixed foam and screw together. I use Bondo for small mammals sometimes. Regardless of the method i use, if a heavy load/strain is on join i reinforce with a length of steel rod. I find gorilla glue takes too long to set up.

2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Keith, as you know, there are many different foams for different applications. Some need no compression to work like Great Stuff window and door foam and Gorilla Glue. Others need compression to form a skin. The Old Barn foam needs compression to get a good hard skin. If you had contained and limited the rise when you poured on plastic your issue would not have happened. The density of the foam also plays a part in it's use. 2lb will give you the greatest expansion but less density, while 6 lb. less expansion but harder density. IMO, there is no foam that does it all, so I use different foams for different jobs. When I add water, it is not cup fulls but just a misting into the mix. I have yet to have a failure adding water to the foam but it does increase expansion and gives me a harder skin when used with the proper foam choice and density