1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ph Level Drop

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hoytarcher, Mar 10, 2021.

1. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    I have some hides in a pickle and after 1 day the PH went from 1.5 to 3. I added more acid and dropped it back down. Went back this morning and it was sitting at almost 3 again. Is this normal or am I messing up somewhere. Salinity is at 42%

2. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

How many gallons is your pickle and what’s in it?

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No it shouldn’t be doing this . What were on the skins and as said how many in how much pickle?

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

You need to provide a detailed description of how you made the pickle solution, i.e. gallons total, how much acid, what kind of acid. If a liquid acid the concentration of it. How much salt and type of salt. Then you need to detail how the hides were handled prior to putting in the pickle..Salted? Rinsed? Treated with any other chemicals?

5. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    15 gallons of water, 15lbs of salt and I used the McKenzie safety acid, following the directions on the bottle. The hides were fleshed and then dropped in. I have found that I have not had any other issues since I posted this.

6. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Were they fleshed with a pressure washer?
    Were they salted after fleshing?

DP

7. Lance.G

Also how many lbs of hides?

8. Lance.G

I probably wouldn’t go more than 3 deer capes in 15 gal

9. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Ok, I'll assume the you followed the directions correctly. Along with answering the other gentlemens' questions I'll ask this: Are you weighting the hides down or free floating them?