1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Back Brushing A Deer Mount?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Deerman, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    I have read that you can use a heat activated hair conditioner,fine tooth metal comb,blow dryer held 90 deg. to the deer mount, start at the back of the mount,work forward, but at what point in the mounting process would you do this? Any detailed information on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I make sure the hair is as dry as I can get it before I mount it and just lift the hair with a brush so it's not laying flat.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You could break the hair as it’s hollow , to get lift and fullness, use a pet dryer but go in the same direction of the hair, you don’t need anything on the hair . I do it all the time , I brush my mount getting all my hair patterns correct the 1 day and the second day , the 3rd day I will unbag brush then start blowing it out in the direction of each hair patterns, then rebag , I want the hair patterns correct and the hide starting to dry at the root of the hair so it looks natural but at the same time I don’t want the mount to dry to quickly . I’ll blow it out for next 3 days like this . By that time the hair root is locked in , in a slightly lifted position and will stay that way . I will do my finish work and blow it out one last time . You would be amazed at how full it looks after that . Just be careful you don’t cause air pockets under cape as you do this for the first few times , it don’t happen often but can .

4. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    How much time do spend blowing the mount out each time? If a mount is fully dry is it to late for this to work?

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

It will fluff up some at the time but will eventually lay flat again , since the hair root is already locked in . I only blow it out for 15-20 mins each time , I will blow at a 90 degree angle but never backwards. Now other critters thats a different story.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you backbrush the hollow can break. This why I just lift it up and not backbrush it.

7. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Clint Rickey has videos of how to back brush