1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pin Feathers And Lots Of Fat .... No Fun

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GotHonks, Mar 12, 2021.

1. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

Don't know bout y'all but a bird loaded with Pins and Fat are about my least favorite things to see when I skin a bird .... Buddy of mine brought me 3 Cacklers he killed opening weekend and all 3 are chucked full of FAT and millions of Pins , normally I'd say forget it the min I see how bad it is but it's for a buddy so I make an exception .. Really been a PITA so far , literally 3 x the fat of a normal bird .. Took a while but I got them all cleaned and dry but what a pain and a lot more time than it should taken .. After these I've learned a lesson ... Never again ...pic is after first wheeling and you can't even see the big pins , had to wheel it 3 times ... Too much at one time will turn the skin into tissue paper and it tears super easy ...
    20210311_095228~2.jpg

magicmick and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't blame you. That really is not fun.

When I kill a fall turkey, I always mount it for myself just for practice. Some have 20 or so pin feathers and others are like your birds solid blue from hundreds of pin feathers. I have only had one that turned out ok, but not something I would feel good about giving back to a customer. I didn't do many birds for customers and no lifesize turkeys for customers, so I didn't worry about the pin feathers on my own.

I enjoyed the challenge and they took a ton of extra time and not something I would want to do for customer work, because of the uncertainty of out come and time it takes to work with them.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.

3. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

Yeah I can't lie , when I see birds in this condition I'm not happy puts me in a bad mood to have to wheel these fat +&%$#..No fun , had to wear my face shield so much grease flying ... Pretty sure I've decided these were the last birds I'll ever work on loaded w/ Pins and Fat like these .... No Mas .. too frustrating
    Luckily I only had one rip , sewed up nice ... One thing I do with these really fat birds , get them wheeled as complete as I can .. soon as I'm done I Drop it in a bucket of really warm heavy Dawn for 10min and swish it around , it gets the initial nasty fat and blood out real quick .. Rinse it with heavy spray nozzle in my sink then wash in dawn till the soapy water is clear Probably had each of these in the wash 5/6 hr ea change wash every hr or so .. Then rince , spin cycle in wash machine and blow dry ... Time isn't an issue right now so I let stuff wash as long as I think need be .. I was fairly happy with how fast I was able to dry them 35 min .. Not bad for a goose .. Loaded with Pins ...
    Dead mount anyways , and if they were 4 someone I didn't know .. I'd said sorry can't work on these .. Fat and Pin Feathers are a No go ...

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

if you were in Mn that would be normal ...we are used to it

5. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

I have the same goose problem now with some cacklers. Except mine were killed in north Texas late January. I was taken back by all the pin feathers.

6. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

I get a lot of the pin feather filled birds in early season. Never have enjoyed messing with the pin feathers, they are a challenge to mount. Makes me want to raise my prices, which I do.