1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Piebald Beetles

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ElephasMaximus, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Once I found several piebald dermestid larvae in my beetle tank, brown with pale spots. Can't find pictures of them currently. Unfortunately they perished from unknown cause along with others.
    Had anyone observed something like this?
    The colony was bred from 200 individuals and died out almost completely several times so its genetic diversity is low and some recessive genes might pop out.

roadkillguy likes this.
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

In a colony I had, years ago, I occasionally found albino ones. Maybe one a year. I also assumed from inbreeding.

3. Those were not albinos but recently molted ones) they turn normal color if isolated and observed, same with occasional 'albino' cockroaches

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Nope. Not soft at all. Hardened shell, solid beetle with a very light tan shell. Not white but certainly very far off from the black it was supposed to be. Checked underneath and up close and they were dermestids, just all the wrong color. I say albino because it seemed like the black coloring was non existent. Leucistic might be closer to fact.

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

did you very gender from underneath? maybe they were new wave democrats