1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Recomend A Good Trapline Pistol

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by byrdman, Mar 14, 2021.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

cant carry rifle anymore and need gun for big nasty wolves... would a 22lr be better in a revolver or semi auto

2. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

I have had both. A Ruger single six with both cylinders is an ideal trapping pistol. Then you can go up to .22 mag if you feel it necessary.

3. rosscoak

rosscoak Member

Ruger mark 1, is what I use for wolves
    I like 10 rounds

4. obarr1977

obarr1977 Member

ohio
    Heritage .22. Cheap and reliable

5. byrdman

I like the idea of a semi auto just pop out clip at truck (cant have loaded in truck) and not chamber a bullet intil needed... taking 6 bullets out each time? or do you pop out cylinders

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    cc permit, problem solved, no unloading

Keith likes this.
  7. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

I can have a loaded gun in the vehicle so I don’t worry about that. Yes a single six would be a pain to load and unload every time you had to get in the vehicle. I never tried popping out a loaded cylinder.

8. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

I use a Rock Island Armory 1911 in .22 mag now. It does a good job now but they aren’t kidding when they say it takes 500 rounds break in for it to cycle properly. I almost sold it twice I was so mad. It doubles as my side arm for lion hunting that’s why I switched.

9. byrdman

yaa not carrying a loaded gun in vehicle

10. obarr1977

obarr1977 Member

ohio
    Problem I ran into with semi auto's is: I typically just throw my trap gun in my trap bag, so it gets muddy, wet, etc. In freezing Temps, the slide freezes, which enables a new round to be chambered. Yes, a revolver takes a little more time to load, but how many shots do you typically fire on a line check? And.. it's cheap, so getting scuffed-up isn't a concern. Just my opinion and experience.

bob wendt likes this.
  11. byrdman

got a revolver thanks all

obarr1977 and Rausch like this.
  12. byrdman

so whats the deal with handguns and registering? this was an estate gift a buddy got from an uncle that I traded him for taxidermy work